
If you came here today thinking you might get a laugh please stop reading and go elsewhere. I'm sorry to disappoint you.
It's 2:30 AM in the morning and after hours of tossing and turning on the sofa I finally gave up.
The big "C". And being an older single guy, my life has been shaped by it. No, the word I'm talking about here isn't "commitment", it is "cancer". I think the most terrifying words in the English language are "It's malignant."
Recently I've begun to think that I am a carcinogenic.
In the 10th grade of high school, I dated a young woman who was full of life and very talented. She marched in the band, acted in the school drama club, took honors English, and laughed with me when we did things together. She and I never actually broke up - one morning she learned she had pancreatic cancer, and few short, horrible months later, she was gone and I bitterly learned that life is transient - and we don't actually ever have anything to keep forever.
I didn't date much after that in high school, and in college, it took just about everything I had to keep from being flunked out - 20 hours of class and studying each day didn't make for much free time. For all I joke about doing foolish things with the guys, those episodes of fun where few and far between. Once I graduated, I moved back into the area I grew up in, and started dating again. One woman I enjoyed seeing soon after college broke up with me when her mother died of cancer. She became morose and withdrew from life - actually closing the curtains in her home and refusing to leave it for months on end.
About that time my Great-Aunt (my dad's mom's sister), who was a feisty, combative, spirited woman, was found to have cancer. She battled it as bravely as anyone I've ever seen - she never grew despondent, she never gave up. She didn't win her battle though.
A couple years later, my Grandmother was diagnosed with cancer - it started as freckle growths on her face and neck. She was a very sick woman for a year...before she too, lost her battle with the disease.
I was by this time working in the drug business - part of my motivation was to help find cures for these horrible diseases that haunt our existence. Not being a doctor or chemist, my involvement was setting up computers that were (and are) used to store the results of clinical trials; trials used to see if experimental, new compounds both work and are safe.
The second drug company I worked at, I worked with a engaging young woman with the most beautiful golden blond hair and a heart-melting smile. The warmth in her voice when she said "Hello" was truly genuine and she was a delight to work with - and our work paths crossed frequently - for she tended the computer that "my stuff" was on. We played on the company's volleyball team together, she was grace personified in the back court. I on the other hand was nicknamed Mr. Grass-stain as my efforts often left me covered with them. When we had a free moment she would talk to me about her dreams - simple sweet ones of having a couple children with Mr. Tall Dark and Handsome. Then the fateful day came and she no longer came to work. She had ovarian cancer. I remember going to the hospital to visit her - shocked and dismayed to see her bald head, the black rings under her eyes, and her voice but a husky whisper. She survived but lost her dream - and I never worked with her or saw her again.
A few months later, an older woman I worked with on projects together with, 8-9-10 hours a day, who I greatly respected both in terms of her knowledge and her attitude, someone that bailed me out of a dozen or more jams - found out she had a lump on her breast. She ignored it and worked on. Finally she couldn't ignore it any longer and they operated - and thankfully she survived by the narrowest of margins - but her attitude changed as she came to realize that she had a family with two young girls and she, as a workaholic was missing out on things - she resigned from work and only later, when her girls were grown up, did she go back to work - by then I had moved on. Here, I know it's just selfish to think about what I lost, a mentor and able teammate - but in the end, I should be happy she learned to "smell the roses" in time.
At this time, I felt the need to...do more. So I did some walks for cancer, fundraising, volunteer work like manning tables and booths during parades and walks - and begun searching for other ways to...somehow make a difference.
And then I lost a friend, a mentor, and a personal hero to prostate cancer. The disease is relentless and it steals from both its victim and the bystander.
I ended up doing things for foundations like "Make a Wish" - and trying to ease the burden for children that had cancer (and their parents) - and to me, this is the most horrible form of cancer - that which afflicts the youngsters and the young women and men who haven't had time to realize the promise they show.
And I...couldn't do this anymore than I could work at the shelter for troubled people - I tried for a couple years, but the pain and grief of those that were left behind - combined with the tragic loss of those that lost their battles - and those that live on but are but hollow shells of what they once were - forced me to back away for my own preservation.
Today, I regularly donate to the American Cancer Society what I can - and look for ways where I can personally make a difference, but in a internal contradiction, somehow needing to guard myself from emotional involvement.
And in the wee hours of this morning, I am tormented with the thinking that some of what I've done recently is too little and far too late - and with the knowing that someone else I love has recently heard the words, "It's malignant."

15 comments:
Hugs you tight.
Even though I have lost a husband to cancer, and other family members, I am hearted by those who do survive. Please know that those you are helping in any way you can are being helped. Not all...but many more now than were in the past.
*sends a hug your way*
((((((Iggy)))))) hugs and kisses to you.... NOW GET TO BED....
x
*HUGZ*!!!
I love you.
The fact that you care so much speaks volumes of your character. Get some rest. Do what you can, when you can, pray, have faith and hope. Believe me, it's alot.
I read this post a few times before commenting. Commentingondeath with my beliefs being so different from others is hard for me. Cancer to me is a cruel carriage to a freedom we all eventually find.
My Aunt who is very ill now and on her last journey lost her husband when I was 16 to cancer. This was my first kowledgable experience with the disease. My parents had sheltered me from the disease until then. He was a gentle softly spoken man with a loving nature, a person everyone loved. He worked in a timber yard carrying timber on his shoulder. The constant rubbing against his neck caused splinters that eventually created a lump which turned to cancer. He looked kind of like the hunchback of notre dam except the hump had formed on the side of his neck not on the back. As they lived a short walk from Mum and Dad's I would, almost daily, pop in on the way to and from school to visit with them. He fought until he had no energy to fight anymore. I remember walking in on him when My Aunt was bathing him and the cancer had formed all over his body looking like cow horns protruding from his arms, legs, chest and stomach, even his forehead. I wanted to turn away but wanted to see at the same time. It was shortly after that that the ambulance was called and he was taken to hospital where he passed on overnight. At his funeral I looked at the shell that once carried his spirit and I remembered what he had said to me. Dont be sad for me now as I am enjoying what time I have left with the ones I love and when I am gone be happy for me for I will be at peace and free of pain. I think thats all we can do for the ones we love and care about who have to suffer through this.
*Hugs*
All you can really do is do what you can to help and hope for the best. It's all you can do in any situation, to be honest. Just do the best you can and be there to try and make the last days, months, years... Whatever it ends up being... Of the person in question's life as enjoyable as possible. That's all any of us can do, isn't it?
My Nan is one of the lucky ones... She's so far beaten cancer twice in h er life and is now 80 years old. Some people aren't as lucky as that, but then again, maybe those who lose the battle sooner are the luckier ones? I don't mean because their life is cut short, I mean because they don't have to suffer for long.
I wish I could say something more meaningful... But I can't.
Even with the warning, I wasn't prepared for this. The tears keep coming. You see, you have made me realize for the first time ever how the big C and me and the changes it caused in me affected my family. Thank you for that. For you to once again be faced with yet another friend with cancer is so hard - and unfair. But as that saying goes, life isn't fair. I recently read a book, "The Last Lecture" by Randy Paush. It is written by a young professor who was dying of pancreatic cancer. He has since died. I highly recommend it. Each of my children will find a copy of it in their Christmas stocking this year. Stay strong dear friend. Like so many, I love you and your caring heart.
Saturday morning hugs to you (((Iggy))) actually is a little after midday..
My father died of Cancer a few years back and 10 weeks later I lost me mum to Cancer also...I also lost me 3 siblings during this time with family disputes, so I walked away from it all.....and within 6 months me X had left.....
Much to take on board that year...
Then a couple of years ago my bestest dearest friend Tina died of Cancer within only 6 weeks of being diagnosed... and then me dear sweet matie Suzie died of the same disease.... its a terrible thing... and it makes one take stock of their lives and just how fragile life really is....
sigh... life aye..its what we sign up for....
love to all
x
chin up...tits out.
hugs!!!!!
My mother has been diagnosed with breast cancer twice. My grandmother had it, my great grandmother died of it. 5 of my mother's cousin's have also been diagnosed and survived.
You are doing all you can and as you can see, out of all my family members. Only one passed away ( and that was many moons ago) everyone else is a survivor. Things are very slowly getting better. Cancer no longer means a death sentence.
*hugs* cancer is a horrible thing. it can be a silent killer, and everyone always says "it cant happen to me". but in reality, it happens to the least suspecting person. my roommates mum is currently starting her chemo treatments for breast cancer. this is her second round of breast cancer. i don't know how people do it, i don't understand everything that revolves around it. but all i know is that someone needs to find a cure for this murderous word and fast. x
My heart is hurting for you.
I just emailed you.
~gypsy-heart
Post a Comment