Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Charles Henry Lang

While walking on the Schuylkill River Bike Path on Saturday I noticed something new. The bike path is nice in that it has a bench for weary walkers every here and there. These benches are memorials - people can buy the bench and the park services installs them.

Now, I've never heard of Charles Henry Lang, and know nothing about the man except that someone thought he merited a bench. If the park service is like the justice system - this bench has been a dozen years in coming.


a brass plaque on a new park bench described below

September 22, 1922 - July 10, 1995
In Loving Memory Of
Charles Henry Lang
Beloved Father, Brother, Grandfather
and Patriarch of Port Indian
Donated By Richard and Roberta Larocca.

I most likely will never use this bench for seating purposes - but...I definitely will use it!

You see...it's strategically located at mile 17.75 on the trail and a place some of you know about already!


a wider view of the new bench showing the styxyladiums directly behind it



So now, thanks to Charles Henry Lang, I won't accidentally walk past the three Styxyladiums as they so very slowly walk up the hillside here (or is down the hill? who can tell?).

I always make a mental note of them on my way by and secretly eyeball them to note their condition, health, and for signs of any recently acquired tattoos or branding. When no one is looking I may even (looks around to see if anyone is watching) wave to them.

a new styxyladium just placed in an open field

In the odd timing department...As I was composing this entry, none other than roving Photojounalist LadyStyx sent me a message saying, "Psst...Check out the new photographs I got for ya - one of them is of a newborn Styxyladium right after it hatched!"

Awwwwww.... isn't he (she? it?) cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuteeee?!

9 comments:

The Wife O Riley said...

That newborn is cute!! But I would watch out, the mother can't be far.

LadyStyx said...

*lafffz* yes, odd timing indeed!

MarmiteToasty said...

I LOVE benches with peoples names on them....... there are some dedicated benches along the seafront at Southsea, near the Bandstand, and I always take time to read the inscriptions and wonder who the people were......

I can not see a traffic cone anymore without thinking of you lmfao...... and seeing as there must be about 500 in Waterlooville where the big new road works are, it means i think of you every day LOL

x

Deanna said...

I sure wouldn't want to change his/it's diaper...

Perfect spot for a bench and personally I would probably be taking advantage of it!

Huggsss

LadyStyx said...

Oh dear, I just noticed! A herd of ORBAs is stalking that poor little one!!

AliceKay said...

Nice memorial bench.

ChicagoLady said...

I'm surprised you haven't gone digging to see who Charles Henry Lang is. If he was important enough to warrant a bench, there HAS to be something out there about him, somewhere!

What a cute newborn Styxyladium. I hope the mommy came to get it before the ORBA's got to it.

Anonymous said...

*Waits patiently for Iggy to look up about who Charles Henry Lang is*

Awwww... Poor little Styxyladium... All alone without his/her Mama!

Intense Guy said...

Well...oddly enough, I *did* look up Charles Henry Lang and didn't find anything on the internet. The name itself is quite common - there was a Charles Henry Lang high in the Australian government of all places.

I have a theory about this one though...you see there are THREE sytyxladiums on the hill there? and there are three names in Charles Henry Lang...get my drift??? Now I'm bedeviled with wondering which one is Henry...

And Marmy? I am very, very thankful I first obsessed with the orange cones and NOT the doggy poop bags...imagine what that might of led to?