Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Somewhere That's Green

I'm not ready for winter yet...noooo!!! So I dug out some pictures I took early this fall just to wallow somewhere that's green.

a picture taken out of a train window - showing the adjacent river and GREEN trees!

All Aboard!! Early this fall, I had the pleasure of riding a steam powered train from Jim Thorpe, PA up the Lehigh River, past Wilkes-Barre, all the way to Tunkhannock, PA on the old Lehigh Valley Railroad main line.

The Lehigh River cuts through the Pocono Mountains and forms a deep gorge here. This is the same railroad that eventually goes through Towanda and has a branch there heading south to the feed mill that Alice Kay works at. If she had only gone outside and put her ear to the track that day - she might of heard the train I was on.

a picture taken out the window of the fast moving train - the trees are a blur and you can see the river beyond them.

Moving fast enough to blur the greenery!



Join me on the ride!

Here the train heads over the Lehigh River high up on a bridge - and you will see the Interstate 80 highway bridge in the middle distance. We are not far from the small town of White Haven, PA and bracing ourselves for the climb up over the Endless Mountains (the Poconos) and the long descent into the Wyoming Valley formed by the Susquehanna River.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

What a beautiful train ride!Though every time I think of train I think of Murder on The Orient Express(great book but not a good thought as far as trains go). Where as you are not ready for winter, I on the other hand need this weather to change, sick of summer now!


have a nice day
-melissa*^_^*

ChicagoLady said...

Look at all the wonderful greenery! That looks like a cool train ride to take. And you could just ride and ride, right up to AK's place! How neat!

LadyStyx said...

Rail trip anyone?

Dorkys Ramos said...

LOVE that second picture!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Cool beans! Thank you for taking me along!!