This game had been postponed from last Saturday - when it was 74F (23C) and perhaps a little humid, but rain had left the field a mass of mud - so they waited until today to play.
And today they played on a nice dry AstroTurf surface when it was 28F (-2C) and a cold 20 mile per hour (32 Kilometers/hour) blew down the length of the field.

The "home team" 10 or 12...or maybe it's even 14, it's soccer...who knows?
Halfway through the first half - I was white and pondering what frostbitten extremities looked like... My niece's team led 3-0 at half time and the schedule called for the winning team to play another game immediately after this one for the overall Championship. Half way through the second half - I was blue and pondering the effects of chattering teeth on the dental bill.
My niece's team had slowly given up their seemingly insurmountable lead and the score now stood tied, 3-3. Decidedly un-Uncle Iggy like thoughts entered my head, if my niece's team lost, I could get in out of the cold when the game ended...and not have to watch second game at all.

My Niece Runs for Field Position
Two overtime periods later, the score still stood frozen at 3 apiece. And the spectators looked like they were frozen too - totally motionless and upright on their feet. The clouds of breath stuck to their faces, seemingly for all eternity.
I recalled at length, a physics demonstration where a hot dog was frozen in liquid nitrogen and then tapped on a table - where it shattered into a gazillion pieces - and a very carefully made sure I didn't tap my fingers or toes on anything at all!
Finally, 2 hours after the game began, and 3 shootouts later, the other team finally won when a soccer ball, so cold it resembled a bowling ball, clunked off a foot and thudded into the back of a goal net. I won't say I ran to my car to get the heater going - I was way too cold to be able to do that; but I had to admire my own broken field hustling form as I fished out my keys, unzipped my parka hood, pulled off my ski patrol gloves, and knocked away the icicles from my face simultaneously - and got to my car long before anyone else did.
But hey...I'm her proud Uncle. If they played again tomorrow - I'd be there all over again!

10 comments:
Way to go Uncle Iggy! It's a shame her team lost, and I know you'd be at the next one if there was one.... but ain't ya glad you don't have to sit out in the cold again? You are such a good Uncle to do that :)
What an uncle!!! My sister lives in Florida and I don't think she would have even been able to stand if it was last weekend and 74! Way to GO!!!
Wow, I guess you were really cold! That was really nice of you to brave the cold temperaturs to support your niece. I'm sure she appreciated it.
I remember going to watch HS football games for my "cousin". At a couple games I had about 4 layers of coats on, both mittens and gloves on, a scarf, three pairs of socks. And I was still frozen by halftime, lol.
*round of applause for Uncle Iggy*
I doubt if I would have sat that long in the cold for anyone to be honest...not even for a blood relation! You're definitely a better person than I am.
your a great uncle..did you take her out for pizza?..or kfc?..that's what they do on tv.
You are one sweet uncle...... I use to play womans football for 10 years, travelled all over Europe.. yes, we was well good lol.... but we played in wet, muddy, snow, frost, bitter winds without tracksuit bottoms on lol..... me thinks doodle kids must be sissys lmfao...joking..
Ive stood and watched me lads play their various sports in such bitter cold weather, I thought I would never thaw out....
Good on you..... you should of had a steaming mug of bovril to warm you up....
x
I'm sure your niece appreciates you freezing half to death to watch her play. ;)
I dont understand why the ball didnt shatter on contact with the foot lol. Somehow when it involves children we find a way to brave many things. Here it is football in winter and cricket in summer. I much prefer the winter sports I find it easier to warm up than cool down. My kids have almost finished their various sporting activities. Kirsten has her horse but she prefers to compete without an audience because of nerves yet she plays on stage in front of hundreds of people *shrugs* and likes me to attend her Karate comps. I am looking forward to Esch starting sport :-)
What else would a proud uncle do? I know your niece loved having you there!
Way to go Uncle Iggy. I've sat thru high school football games, soccer tournaments, and even bitter cold tennis matches in March and about froze to death. Then Marty went to college and we sat thru bitter cold football games to watch him perform with the band. (my feet and hands feel numb just thinking about it all...LOL)
Post a Comment