Philadelphia's Only Covered Bridge
Early travelers waded through the shallow places to cross the Wissahickon Creek. But as mills sprang up on both sides, mill owners built bridges to make it easier to haul goods back and forth.
In the 1800s, five covered bridges spanned the creek. Now only this one, the Thomas Mill Road Bridge, remains. If the film, The Bridges of Madison County had been The Bridges of Philadelphia County, the movie would have been a short one.
Across the creek not far from the covered bridge high up on the hill, and nested in the greenery is a statue.
Looking West
This statue, carved in 1902, of a Lenape Indian chief looks westward. Though some say the statue is the Lenape Leader "tedyuscung," the statue was meant to symbolize a nameless chief. The statue is located on Council Rock - a place where Indians held council and a name that used by a local school district as well as a local boy scout district.
Legend has it he's watching his people leave the area in the late 1750s, heading west for someplace less crowded. There will be more on this "less crowded" in 1750 theme when I get to Daniel Boone - but I'd give anything for the place to be as "crowded" as it was in 1750 now! I never saw so many 2-ton baby strollers* on Forbidden Lane before.
*The baby strollers with 8 or more wheels, room for two children, and a compartment that can carry the entire families belongings behind the seat.
To escape the crowds, I went to the Morris Arboretum - just a short drive away.
Chesnut Hill College seen from the Arboretum
Chestnut Hill College was founded in 1924 as a Catholic, four-year, liberal arts college for women. Founded as Mount Saint Joseph College by the Sisters of Saint Joseph, the College was renamed in 1938 as Chestnut Hill College. Its castle-like turrented buildings are a local landmark.
The Garden Railroad
A permanent exhibit at the arboretum is the garden railroad - which features 1/29th scale trains running through a garden setting. Always a favorite with the little boys (some of them looked to be about 70 years old too!) there were some new scenes recreating the seven wonders of the world - how is that for timing huh?
Thomas the train was running well, as was the Pennsylvania Railroad's steam train - but the train in the picture is my favorite as it depicts the Reading Railroad.
The arboretum as a "swan" lake complete with a solitary swan, 30 or more white chin strap ducks, and bazillion mallard ducks. This Mute Swan was obviously the "best in the pond".

12 comments:
Great pics...loved the beautiful scenery. We have a lot of covered bridges around here. In fact, there is one just west of Towanda off of Route 6, and there are several in Sullivan County. One is in Forksville, not too many miles from the boy scout camp.
The pic of the train in the garden reminds me of Huntsville Botanical Gardens in Huntsville, Alabama. I have a few pics of the train in that garden on my computer. May have to post some more pics from that trip one day soon.
*oohs and ahhhs*
*skips the trains and heads straight for the "Swan Lake" to take pictures*
Is a bazillion more than a gazillion? Great pictures and such interesting history. I've often wondered what the fascination is with trains - they sure fascinate me. While I was looking at the pictures, before actually reading the blog, I thought "wow that train picture looks like a model..." duh!
When we lived in town our property was on a hill that bordered the Missouri River and railroad tracks. I always found the train whistles soothing when I'd be laying their late at night drifting off to sleep. We now live miles from the train tracks, and yet on a clear night the sound of the whistles carry this far and again I just love it.
Great post Iggy.
Love the covered bridge, that so makes me think of the Waltons LOL..... dont ask why.....
Do you know that all swans in England are owned by the Queen....and low and behold if anyone catches someone hurting one.... OFF WITH YOUR HEAD....
Your photos are always so clear and bright....
x
zillion - Any incomprehensibly large number. For a five-year-old $100 is about equal to "a zillion dollars". For an average adult, this number is certainly greater than 100,000.
bazillion - More than a zillion... possibly as small as 2 zillion.
gazillion - Larger than 'bazillion' probably by at least 2 degrees of magnitude. e.g. Algeria's national debt is like umpteen gazillion dollars.
My Source
If I EVER get to PA...Iggy has to be my tour guide...
*sighs* Yes, Iggy would be a wonderful tour guide. He's seen more of this state than I have.
sorry ..off topic here. but saw your comment about the eagles(die eagles die) on whimsical's blog and had to come see for myself a person that lives in philadelphia or Penn.and hates the eagles....ahahahahahah
me living in texas and loving my cowboys and hating me some eagles...and all...
I just want to know how you have survived...???
Gorgeous pics, as usual Iggy. I will say it again, you could teach me history anytime! I might have paid more attention in history class had you been my teacher.
I was never into trains but I think I would love seeing that garden!
That arboretum looks beautful! We have one here that they just finished re-doing the entrance and all that paths. I love to go walking there, it's so peaceful.
I see there's a covered bridge for the train, so does that mean there are actually TWO covered bridges in Philadelphis county?
*Sits up straight in the PC chair and listens to Iggy the tour guide* :)
ChicagoLady - your logic is impecable. The covered railroad bridge at the arboretum, while small, is also just barely within the boundaries of Philadelphia County!
I re-read the historic marker that stands by the bridge and it is in error claiming the red bridge is the "Philadelhpia's only covered bridge." This website qualifies things saying it is The Only Standing Historic Covered Bridge within Philadelphia City Limits
Post a Comment