Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Life's Embarrassing Moments (LBE)

(This entry uses 100% recycled words)

This "oh-so-fine" day, took place "oh-so-long" ago.

Stephanie. Yes, I the one that can barely remember names and never phone numbers, remember her name as if what I write about in this entry today happened just yesterday.

Stephanie. She rode the same yellow school bus as I did each morning to Junior High school. It was 8th or 9th grade - here my memory is a little fuzzy. She walked down the aisle of the bus, her smile dazzling all of us, but I think perhaps it dazzled me the most. As a young boy-man, the feelings I felt her were unfamiliar, raging ones. How I wanted to feel her sleek soft, shiny hair against my fingertips, and her luscious lips... against mine.

"Stephanie! I have a seat for you!", my mind would shout silently to her as she walked past me, a seat I had cleared by roughly shoving a buddy off and onto his surprised behind in the aisle when we boarded the bus the stop before. I made sure Stephanie had a place, if she wanted it. But each day, day after day, she went back to the end of the bus and sat with the cool and popular kids, their laughter always made the bus terribly noisy each morning.

Autumn turned to winter, and winter to spring, when a new semester started with new classes and new classrooms. It also brought old man Snyder's Biology class in to my day to day schedule. Snyder had the look of a surprised walrus, his big coke bottle glasses made his eyes look blood streaked and huge. His bushy red handlebar mustache made his face look pouty, as if he had just eaten a particularly salty sardine.

His teaching style consisted of facing the blackboard and mumbling, in the softest monotone, while he drew indecipherable pictures of ...well whatever it was he was droning on and on about... Something to do with Biology I suppose. I took no notice, and cared not. For inexplicable reason, Mr. Snyder had offered me the gift from God, the assigned, coveted and treasured seat next to Stephanie.

The desks were set edge to edge, forming a circle around the classroom. The desk I sat in, connected to Stephanie on one side, and her best girlfriend on the other. I had gone to heaven. Her face was always toward me, as she spoke to her girlfriend. Her smile, hair, and smooth soft skin, were only inches away. Her soft giggle as she laughed with her friend, was musical and special, more so since, probably I was the only one in the room that could hear it.

She never seemed to even notice me. I was struck speechless by her angelic visage, and her soft perfume... ignited those unfamiliar, raging, teenage feelings I struggled daily to understand and to control. Then one lovely soft spring day, you know the kind, the first day where you know winter's grip has gone, and the flowers have burst into being... Yes, I'm sure you know.

The sun was warm on my face, streaming through the big classroom windows. Mr. Snyder started his dull buzz, face to the blackboard, and I... found myself in another place, daydreaming, yearning... wondering what it would be like to hold Stephanie in my arms and...

...her elbows sharply nudged my side. I mumbled, my mind tumbling back into the warm schoolroom from wherever it was that it had wandered.

"Give me your paper!", She whispered fiercely to me. I must have appeared drunk (of course, I was a number of years from experiencing that sort of thing). "Paper? What paper?" I stammered and sputtered in dazed confusion. "Your oral quiz paper!", she shot back. "Huh?!?", was my witty retort. On my other side I heard a snorting giggle and a quiz paper shoved at me by her girlfriend - who must of had a name, but I surely have no clue what it was.

In the next few jumbled, confused moments, I realized that I had daydreamed through an oral quiz, and that the class was to be grading them, each of us grading the test paper of the person to our right. I took the girlfriend's paper and bewildered, said to no one in particular, "I don't have any paper." Pity appeared on the girlfriend's face and she tore a blank page from her tablet and shoved it at me. Numbly, I turned it around and passed it on to Stephanie. Blank. Pristine. Untouched.

Question by question, we marked the paper in front of us. Stephanie looked like the princess she was, sitting there, nothing to do but smile at all that looked upon her. Finally the torment ended, and Mr. Snyder said, "Return the quiz papers to their owners please." I slid the girlfriend back her paper, she was a lot smarter than I had thought... and I got the once blank, pristine, untouched paper now adored by the cutest handwriting I ever saw - even though it was a single character... that mind searing, mocking "0" back from Stephanie. Her expression when she handed it back to me was one I have never determined the meaning of, ...or perhaps, I tried never to do so... for reasons some of you might know.

Totally, completely, utterly embarrassed, no.... make that mortified, I huddled into the smallest clump I could make myself. And then the most horrible words I had ever heard buzz sawed through the air. "Ok, when I say your name, tell me your score," came from the man that just 10 minutes before was my everlasting hero... and who was now my biggest tormentor. As he worked through the alphabet, my mind feverously looked for a way out... but still dazed senseless, I found none when he called "Iggy!". My mouth felt like the dust at the bottom of Death Valley after hours, no make that weeks, of blazing afternoon sun.

My tongue was inoperable. "IGGY!" he repeated, an edge of irritation entered his voice. I moaned out a barely audible, "zero". Mr. Snyder stood suddenly at his desk and his huge eyes drilled into me as he said, "What? I can't hear you IGGY". I choked out "Zero!" and the merciless tittering of my classmates broke the silence of the room. Perplexed, Mr. Snyder said, "You get 10 points for your name Iggy!". I replied, "I... it... I, um, didn't write my name."

With a walrusy "harrumph", he said with steel in voice, "Stay after class Iggy", and he went on through the rest of the names in his list.

Stephanie moved away from the neighborhood that summer, to a new school district and I never saw her again. Some days, I wonder where she has gone, and what has become of her... and wonder if she ever knew out what effect she had on me... of course, she probably doesn't remember me at all, except as perhaps, Mr. Zero. But her smile... oh that smile... I will always remember it.

P.s., Mr Synder returned to being my hero after I told him what had happened in detail - I can still hear his chuckle as he said something like, "Oh, well, I see you got a real lesson in biology today." He allowed me to retake the oral quiz and I got a respectable grade.

15 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

she changed her name to anne coultor...

LadyStyx said...

Man, I remember several guys that made me feel that way at that age. Only difference is when I stepped into a classroom I was pretty much all business...unless the subject matter was ultraboring or something I was already familiar with. I remember daydreaming thru 95% of my 7th grade math classes.

ChicagoLady said...

You were called Iggy in 8th or 9th grade? Really?????

AliceKay said...

I think I've read this story someplace before...but you've changed the name to Iggy in this one.(?)

Intense Guy said...

Laffs@Granny and ChicagoLady. I don't recall there ever being any national politics being part of the conversation back then. I think this might have been about the time near-end of the Vietnam War era though, so there must have been some.

I wrote this entry a long time ago - there is a link on the front of the blog page labeled "Well, Old Stuff" - and from there you will find old stories and pictures.

I changed my name to Iggy in the story as I've grown to like it :)

My actual nickname back in the day was "Fuzzy". I think because of the beard that took about 6 years to grow - or maybe it was because I had a few moments like this one... where I was "lost in space." :)

Anonymous said...

I think simular things have happened to everyone at one point or another in their lives.

At least you were lucky enough to be allowed to retake the oral quiz. :)

Karla said...

Never was a guy that went to my school that made me feel that way...*shrugs* I always dated "older" guys...They had cars!! LOL

Deanna said...

LOL similar story for me but the name was Ricky. The teacher had me sitting behind him in class and from that point on my grades plummeted because I would stare at his head and daydream. Good thing she changed the seating chart every two weeks!

MarmiteToasty said...

Young love :).... twasnt it magical LOL

x

Lainie said...

I don't remember a whole lotta French but I will always remember Joey Brooks and his slightly crooked teeth when he would turn around and smile at me in class. :-)

ChicagoLady said...

Well, as long as we're reminiscing...there was Jon, who was running back for the football team, I sorta followed him home from school one day. Then there was Larry, he was nice but not very smart, and got in trouble a lot, but he was nice. Did I mention he was nice? LOL (oh and cute too!)

Rita said...

Ahhhh! And they call it puppy love...(can you hear me singing softly?)

It sounds like you got out of the bad quiz situation because you were perfectly honest with the teacher. A rare quality in such a young man. Loved this! :)

Parsley said...

Great story but a little sad. I kinda wished for the fairy tale ending for you...but at least your teacher helped you get that respectable grade.

Furry Bottoms said...

Oy!!! I remember sitting next to a boy called Brandon in Biology. There was extreme heat going on between his knee and mine under the desk. I don't know if he ever noticed, but that "heat" was so miserably distracting!!!! It was like a gravitational force or something... everytime our knees came very close... not quite touching... there was a flare up. When our knees moved further apart, it cooled. Closer together, heated up fast. It was the hardest thing ever!

meliss3092 said...

Wonderful story-I enjoyed hearing about a memory that was so sweet and innocent. Similar to the way a felt about someone at that age. What is it about those years? Oh, I came across your blog via a friend's blog and I'm glad I did! :)