Leon Leonwood Bean, (1873 - 1967) known as "L.L.," was a true outdoorsman who lived in Freeport, Maine. L.L. designed the original lightweight boot with leather tops and waterproof rubber bottoms, known today as the "Bean Boot." He founded L. L. Bean, a privately held mail-order and retail company based in Freeport, Maine, specializing in clothing and outdoor recreation equipment. Its annual sales were $1.5 billion (USD) in 2005.

The Bean Boot the shoe that started it all.
But... I don't know what to think of his parents. I mean with a last name like "Bean," you would have a goldmine of things to name your child - and they settled on 'Leon Leonwood'?
Recently I saw a show on TV featuring Leon's dad, "Mr. Bean" who was played by Rowan Atkinson and that explained everything. This poor man lived a nightmare and naming a child was probably something he just couldn't handle.
The Beans come from a long line of distinguished people. For instance, the special purpose baseball pitch, named the Bean Ball, was invented by a long forgotten Hittemonna Bean.
And the never seen but often heard, Useyour Bean.
And the Bean Bag chair inventor, Shapeless Buttcomfy Bean.
And the more mundane Beans like TV personality Andy Bean? Actor Orson Bean? Designer Geoffrey Bean?
With a last name like Bean - Why be so... well, Vanilla? Given most Beans live in Texas (according to the White Pages) a name like Jumpin or Judge Roy would seem to be naturals.
Lima, Soy, String, Coffee, Jelly, Fava, Kidney or even the exotic Garbanzo or Black Turtle would be pretty cool names. Or you could have lots of kids and see if you could create a rainbow of colors, Red, Black, Green, Navy, Pink or Golden Wax.
And even if you do have a mundane first name, think of the great nicknames like Baked, Refried, Pinto, Waxsie, Noddy or even Hoosier.
If you were feeling a little naughty after the birth of your baby Bean, you might even consider Tootsie Dueto.
You really know your beans if you know that they are a fruit and not a vegetable.

16 comments:
A fruit?
Every time my parents go to Maine, they go L.L. Bean so Dad can buy more shoes or boots. (one of their main reasons for going to Maine in the first place)
Funny videos on that Mr. Bean page. LOL
Fruit or Vegetable?
You forgot one. When you mentioned Vanilla, I thought for sure you'd mention another. One that any chocoholic is familiar with.... the tasty and aromatic cacao.
http://www.rawcacao.com/
Sorry....Blogger's being a damn prick right now and not letting me put the link in as an actual link (Your HTML cannot be accepted: ) yadda yadda yadda *sigh*
tomatoes are fruit...why can't beans be fruit? LMAO who cares if it's a fruit or veggie AK it's it's FOOD LMAO
Corn is a fruit too...I thought George was pulling my leg until I looked at the link. Ya learn something new every day.
LMAO@ Hittemonna Bean. Ya almost got me with that one.
Hey Iggy, I want to know what the heck you did for that Klondike Bar??? It must be good. LOL
Guess I don't know beans about beans (or tomatoes or corn.)
I guess I don't either, chicagolady. (and yeah, i know it's food, karla)
Last I heard they were still arguing about whether beans and tomatoes were fruit or vegetables. Personally I don't really care which they are.
I have to ask though... Since when has corn been a fruit???
*Shrugs*
I don't suppose it matters though really. I mean - as Karla pointed out - it's all just food.
I went to LLBeans in Freeport Maine..... and also went to the free concerts outside on the Saturdays, saw the Indigo girls andJohn Hiat (or however the bloke is spelt) and Brandi Carlisle, well that one was cut short cos of the most horrendous thunder storm...
I LOVED LLBeans shop.... and, my goodness, everything in the shops was just soooooooooo cheap compared with here, just wish we had bought more stuff to bring home :)
We eat a lot of beans in this house lol but the best is a tin of baked beans on toast with an egg on top :)..
Did I say I LOVE LLBeans shop lol
x
Canned baked beans on toast with fried egg on top?
Mmm... I'll have to try that someday
LOL@you....... what? you aint never had beans on toast? thick buttered toast so that it goes soggy with the bean juices....... dam, you doodles aint lived LOL
x
A whole can of beans? That'll make ya toot for a week!
I get the vague impression that Marmite likes the L. L. Bean store... :)
Good to see you {{{Marmite}}} - hope you are well - even if your latest blob is disconcernting at best.
:) I LOVE LLBean shop lmfao..
and Im fine, honestly, just doing a bit of soul searching, someone stole it this past 6 months and I need to get it back..... :)
x
Mmm... Beans and egg on toast! Haven't had that in a while.
Post a Comment