Saturday, August 16, 2008

Double Take

As of August 16, 2008 at 7:00 AM
Steps: 4,495,704
Miles: 1888.20

Double Take (noun)
1. a delayed reaction indicating surprise

Squirrel leaping off branch just as I take the picture - circled in red because it is so blurry!
Well, as you can clearly see, my travails of trying to get a nice squirrel picture continue. I think, perhaps, maybe I'm getting better at it - at least this time, although the branch is empty, the squirrel is in the picture, admittedly so blurry I had to circle it in red so you could see it.

Recently, my mom gave me a new book, titled "Fifty Hikes in Eastern Pennsylvania Day Hikes and Backpacks From the Susquehanna to the Delaware" by Carolyn Hoffman. I eagerly opened the book and began to skim through the pages looking for some place new to walk. As it was late at night, and I was in sofa, I slowly dozed off, possibly dreaming of new vistas and happy trails.

The next morning, I reach down and picked the book up from the floor where it had fallen and imagine my double take when I noticed the cover for the first time.


picture of cover of new book showing a very nice picture of a squirrel on a branch

I have a theory though... I'm thinking some taxidermist stuffed this squirrel and well, this weekend I might do some garage sale shopping - who knows - maybe someone has a stuffed squirrel on a branch that they are trying to unload for cheap.

7 comments:

AliceKay said...

Aww.....you don't really want to take a pic of a stuffed squirrel, do you?

Deanna said...

LOL Iggy. I'm beginning to worry about you and your squirrel fettish. We have squirrels by the dozens here. I guess I'll have to see just how hard it is to get a picture of one. (didn't see any squirrels at the zoo).
I'm curious about that squirrely book - any new walking trails?

LadyStyx said...

Hey! ya finally caught some squirrel tail! Kudos for you. Bwahaha on the cover of that book. Stuffed squirrel on a branch...makes me think of the squirrel story again as that'a what Judy had brought in those years ago. I'll have to see if I can find that story in the Yahoo and get it copied over to my Blogger account again.

punkn: We're always seeing squirrels in the zoo. They're everywhere...on the paths, in the exhibits etc etc. Every now n then we get to see chipmunks too.

whimsical brainpan said...

LOL! I don't know what it is but the squirrels around here don't seem that skittish. Then again I have never tried to photograph one.

MarmiteToasty said...

There was a squirrel sitting on our fence this morning when I sat in the garden with me first cuppa tea this morning.... it was watching Janet, Mabel and Cedric, I sat real still and it climbed down and was picking up the seeds that me chickens were having for breakfast lol..... I will try and get a photo of it, cos thats 3 times Ive seen it around now....

x

ChicagoLady said...

Maybe you should try not getting so close to them, and use a really powerful zoom lens?

My Charlie is obviously not that concerned. I got another couple pictures of him today while he was eating sunflower seeds on my deck. He didn't mind the birds or me as I stood at the screen door watching him and taking his picture.

I was thinking that book was an awesome gift your mom gave you, and I got a good chuckle when I saw the squirrel on the cover.

Anonymous said...

There was a stuffed squirel at my school when I was younger. Not sure where it came from or where it is now. I just remember it was there... In a glass cage something like a fish tank with pretend leaves and a pretend branch that it had been put on... I'd forgotten about it until you mentioned stuffed squirels.