Friday, August 1, 2008

Belated Welcome to Maine



The territory that is now Maine was part of Massachusetts until 1820. Maine is the northernmost portion of New England and is the easternmost state in the contiguous United States. It is known for its scenery — its jagged, mostly rocky coastline; its low, rolling mountains; and its heavily forested interior — as well as for its seafood cuisine, especially lobsters and clams.

My first visit to Maine included all the things for which Maine is known plus the huge tidal differences! I recall the change from low to high tide being easily ten feet - even in the southern part of Maine.


State Flag

The state motto that appears on the flag is "Dirigo" which means "I lead" or "I direct".

Maine became the 23rd state on March 15, 1820, as a component of the Missouri Compromise (which dealt with the extension of Slavery into new states.)


Portland Head Light

Trivia Question / Answer: Acadia National Park located in Maine is the only national park in New England.



State Symbols
State berry: Wild Blueberry
State bird: Black-capped Chickadee
State cat: Maine Coon
State fish: Land-locked salmon
State flower: White Pinecone and Tassel
State gemstone: Tourmaline
State herb: Wintergreen
State insect: European honey bee
State animal: Moose
State beverage: Moxie
State tree: Eastern White Pine

Here's a question for you - do you think our state lawmakers should have spent all the time they did dreaming up resolutions to make this and that the official state "whatzamacallit"?

4 comments:

ChicagoLady said...

I agree, who cares what the state insect is? And why would they pick the European Honey Bee? It's not even AMERICAN!

I would love to make a trip to Maine one day, for all the interesting you've mentioned here.

AliceKay said...

I've seen Portland Head Light. Cape Elizabeth was a cool place to see. The rocks looked like wood. I've been to Acadia National Park at Bar Harbor, too, and have been to Kennebunkport where former President George Bush has a summer home. Maine is a great state to visit. I'll be interested in seeing what you have to show us, Iggy. :)

MarmiteToasty said...

Ive been to that light house :).... I just love the coast of Maine..... just so love it....

Spent almost 3 weeks there last summer.....

x

LadyStyx said...

Im voting it's renamed the "dohickeyzone"