Thursday, August 28, 2008

These Things Creep Me Out

A close up shot of a dead cicada sitting on top of a wooden fence pole - I've put my hand in the picture to show how bit it is - it looks like about a 2 and a half inch house fly with iridescent green wings

I was walking near the river in Valley Forge National Historical Park when I couldn't help but notice the trail was literally littered with these huge bugs. They were all dead - and walking on them, instead of making the usual "crunch, crunch, crunch" sound, made more of a "crun-splut-skid, crun-splut-slip" noise.

I took a picture of this one putting my hand in the picture so I had an idea of about how big it was and went home - planning to look on the Internet to see if I could determine what this creepy bug was - and that was the very day ChicagoLady asked "WHY IS THIS CICADA CRAWLING UP THE SIDE OF THE BUILDING??????"

The timing of her entry was downright spooky! And I had to look no further in order to find out what "my" creepy bug was... it was a dead Cicada.

Being very dead, we will need to hold a seance to ask this Cicada why the other Cicada was crawling up the side of ChicagoLady's building. Oh, I do hope Whoopi Goldberg aka Odo May Brown is available!

13 comments:

Karla said...

Wow...a lotof dead ones eh? we could of had supper!!
Your scared of bugs? awwwwwww..so is my son! He sees a spider and yells "MOTHER>>KILL IT" lol

Deanna said...

Hmmmmmm. That looks more like a horsefly than a cicada to me and I HATE horseflies. They are mean!

AliceKay said...

Nasty looking bug. I have something in my shrubs that make an almost constant, annoying noise. Haven't seen them yet. Took a broom to the shrub by the window in this room yesterday when the sound got on my nerves. The noise stopped until I walked away. :\ My dad thinks they're some kind of tree toad. (i can hear them now even with the windows closed)

Intense Guy said...

Snakes, skunks, spiders, frogs, jelly fish and bats don't bother me much. I will avoid them - but not run from them screaming.

Bugs, on the other hand, and more specifically, BIG bugs - ugh! Like the super huge mosquitoes, ewwwwww! LOL

LadyStyx said...

ewwwwwwwwww.*shudderz*
*runs screaming like the lil sissy girl she is*

Karla said...

Is sitting here...listening tothe cicada's buzzzzzz buzz buzz buzz....Very very soothing to me...I'm just weird eh?

ChicagoLady said...

To give Iggy something to do, because I know he LOVES looking stuff up...

link

AliceKay said...

Now I really do have the creeps. *itches her leg*

(did karla just say she was weird?)

LadyStyx said...

Yes she did...and yes, Im pretty sure she is. It's part of her charm.

Intense Guy said...

*After looking at the icky bugs on the link ChicagoLady left*

Me: Eww, run! run!!

Good Guy: When and if you catch up to Ladystyx swing her on to your horse!

Bad Guy: You doofus! He doesn't have a horse... Just push her outta the way!

Me: No! I wouldn't and won't push her. Run! Run LadyStyx! Head for Maine!!

Anonymous said...

If it's all the same with you, I'll sit this one out. By all means tell me the answer afterwards, but I don't want to be near any bugs - dead or alive - thank you very much!

yellowdoggranny said...

they are some ugly suckers ain't they?..
in august and sept we get swamped by crickets..tons and tons of them suckers..they are in piles under every street light outside business, they sneak in the house and if they get sucked up into the vacuum cleaner the smell of cooked cricket will make you throw up...

MarmiteToasty said...

I think its cute lol

x