Thursday, August 7, 2008

Lost In Thought

summer on the canal

Today I was talking to someone about death and the purpose of life and while taking a short walk to the Post Office, I mentally reconfirmed to myself that I did not honestly know what my purpose in life might be (or might have been for that matter).

I thought about my Grandmother who died a few years ago and thinking well – if she isn’t “here” anymore, she might be “there” wherever that might be, call it Heaven if you want. Somehow I didn’t want to let go of the idea she wasn’t “here” anymore so, I asked myself what of her remains? Her grave, her processions now scattered to wind, what still remains, her DNA? Yes, some of that remains; it is inside me, a part of me. She lives as memories, inside my mind. If I had children, she would become part of them, albeit in a diluted fashion (being only half of the amount I have in terms of DNA and less still in memories).

Might one be able to view Heaven as a place for what remains? There is a part of her encoded in DNA that lives on; “forever” being diluted by halves in each subsequent generation. The memories of those that knew her still exist but are slowly being extinguished by time. Things that she made, the hand knitted scarves and rugs, slowly being eaten away by time.

If she has no existence that we cannot perceive with our five senses, does this mean she has, in actually, none? And if she does not, is she slowly passing from existence as time marches on, ever diminishing but never gone until and unless all of her off-spring produce no more?

Is our purpose to perpetuate our ancestors? Is there more?

And as I opened the door to the office when I returned, my thoughts veered off on a tangent as they are wont to do. As a human, I am one-seven billionths of the whole – does this mean my “share” of the world is (currently) one-seven billionths? Am I responsible for the stewardship of that portion? And am I responsible for tending it? If there were no “inheritance of material property,” could we view passing along the world to our offspring in this proportional way? If I had two children, would they each, in turn be responsible for one-fourteen billionths? Putting aside the “responsibility”, would this allotment considered “equitable”? Does “be fruitful and multiply” mean to do so, until humans overrun the world? Is God’s plan (conjecturally) for us, really to rape the planet and starve to death en masse?

I wouldn’t begin to make a claim to know. Not even knowing what my purpose is – I’ve no glimmerings of an idea what humankind’s purpose might be.

9 comments:

Karla said...

Deep...very very deep
I could say a lot but I won't :-) Maybe at some other time..not in blogger...
I never found my "purpose". But your purpose..in my book..is to have made other people laugh and smile when they think of you. You've touched more lives than you know! *hugsss*

MarmiteToasty said...

I need to come back to this..... I will make that my purpose for now.....

x

Anonymous said...

I saw somewhere else some time ago something that basically said that our purpose in life is to reproduce. But there must be more to it than that. I don't know what... But something.

Intense Guy said...

I aoplogize for the typos. Blogger wont let me back in to fix them (at the moment).

AliceKay said...

We all have a purpose. It's just that some have them more defined than others. *hugs*

Ausgrl said...

Firstly once our dna is stamped we are here forever, it becomes part of the earth.

Secondly your purpose will be revealed when you have moved on to your time of rest. If we were all given our purpose in life many would avoid completing it for fear of dying once it is done.

"Rape the planet and starve to death en masse" an interesting quote considering many beliefs feel that is exactly what humans are doing now. I dont think it is in the plan to do so, I think the "great plan" is to live in harmony with the planet and one another, allowing each to be their own. Sadly humans have an intelligence that allows them anger,hatred, envy and jealousy which in turn creates wars, killings, crime.

If humans followed the plan as set out in the many books of various religions how peaceful and beautiful would this world be? And a topic looms for my next blog entry lol

Deanna said...

Purpose in life. What is the purpose of a newborn baby? A toddler? A teenager? A 15 year old pregnant teen? A bachelor or bachelorette? Newleyweds? Young parents? Parents of teens? Empty nesters? Retirees? Someone with a potentially deadly diseas or someone dying? Old folks who are unable to care for themselves anymore? Doesn't our purpose in life change daily, often changing depending on the needs of others? I think my purpose in life is to live life to the fullest with respect to all things living, caring were care is needed, letting go when I have no control, and smile and laugh as often as I can, hoping it is contageous.

Intense Guy said...

Thank all of you for your thoughts.

I realize this is a potential "landmine" sort of entry and why some of you want(ed) to be circumspect in your remarks and I want to let you know your doing so does not influence what I think of all of you - that is, as wonderful friends to have and to cheerish.

You have given me some more "fodder for the gristmill" - and although I probably should try to get to the Post Office and back more quickly in order to not think so much - I appreciate the beauty of Punkn's reply - the support in Karla's - the dream for mankind in Ausgrl's and reassurance found in all the other comments.

My intent was not to upset anyone or bring to light any unanswerable fears - here or in anyone's mind - but rather it was to express a tightly bundled group of concerns that nag me each and every day - and to attempt, feeble as it was, to unravel them so that I could deal with them "internally". I've not put any of these concerns to rest - but with your insights, I can tackle a "bite-sized" portion of them today.

*Hugs*

Anonymous said...

You need to allow yourself that thinking time and not rush. Enough people rush around as it is. Besides, during these "thinking times" are when the best ideas often occur to us.