"I've learned.... That life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes."
-- Andy Rooney
In our age, Joseph Gayetty invented toilet paper in 1857. His new toilet paper was composed of flat sheets. Before Gayetty's invention, people tore pages out of mail order catalogs - before catalogs were common, leaves were used. Unfortunately, Gayetty's invention failed. Walter Alcock (of Great Britain) later developed toilet paper on a roll (instead of in flat sheets). Again, the invention failed.
In 1867, Thomas, Edward and Clarence Scott (brothers from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA) were successful at marketing toilet paper that consisted of a small roll of perforated paper . They sold their new toilet paper from a push cart - this was the beginning of the Scott Paper Company.

10 comments:
Little late for the Scotts at this point....it WOULD make a great ad for Bounty though...
LOL - That kind of ad would have me watching TV again. :)
Oddly enough, in 1931, Scott introduced the first paper towel for the kitchen and created a whole new grocery category. He made perforated rolls of "towels" thirteen inches wide and eighteen inches long. That is how paper towels were born. It was to take many years, however, before they gained acceptance and replaced cloth towels for kitchen use.
Interesting bit of info. Love the pic, too.
i want to hug and kiss that kid..and then jump in the puddle with im
and corn cobs...they used corn cobs too...my momma told me that they had a 2 seater with a sears catalog and corn cobs in the corner so I know can you imagine how many hemmorids they had back then? LOL
And Scott makes the best, longest lasting rolls there are!!! Cheap too...
I love your history lessons :-)
I have used a leaf once whilst out in the woods LOL...
And when we was kids, in the outside loo there was squares of cut up newpaper hanging on a string...
We buy recycled bog rolls, just hope its not actually recycled from loo rolls lmfao...
And call me old fashion but I NEVER buy kitchen rolls... what a waste of money and resources lol whats wrong with tea-towels for gawds sake....
I wanted that kid to sit in the puddle lmfao....
I saw the most amazing display of them orange cones yesterday up in town where they are making a new road system.... there must of been thousands of em.... I will try and take photos.... it might be hard though cos its really busy traffic there lol....
x
I love your history lessons Iggy... You're on a roll with this one! ;)
(Sorry, couldn't resist. LOL!)
Double Ut-Oh! Marmite! Please don't give in to the Orange Traffic Safety Cone picture taking mania!! it's an illness!! It will (gasp) take over your soul!
And just as seriously, I too avoid paper towels (and plastic grocery bags).
I fell in between two patches of thistle once (I never claimed to be graceful). I was so glad to not have to pull thistle out of my uknowwhat that I didn't bother with leaves, corn cobs, kleenex, whatever! Pulled my britches up and beat Jim silly for laughing so hard at me.
You never cease to amaze me with your historical stories out of PA.
I will admit that as a child I did use a leaf once or twice (different leaf each time).
I do use both papertowels and cloth towels. Cloth for drying dishes, and paper for cleaning up those little messes that just don't get absorbed fast enough with a cloth towel.
I also have the cloth bags to use in lieu of plastic bags at the various stores, but I usually forget to take them in with me, and cuss under my breath as I watch the plastic bags get loaded at the checkout counter.
Post a Comment