Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Distlefink

Decorating everyday items with colorful designs was a common practice for the Pennsylvania Dutch (i.e., German) of Lutheran and Reformed church background. It is these people and not the Amish or Mennonite that created the world famous "hex signs."

Pennsylvania dutch hex sign with two sets of three tulips arranged in a trinity pattern
Double Trinity Tulips

The stylized tulip with its three petals is a dominate feature in Pennsylvania Dutch folk art. It is referred to as the Trinity Tulip and it symbolizes the Trinity as well as faith, hope and charity. The heart in this sign is religious in its representation of the heart of God, the source of all love and hope for a future life.

Statue of bright yellow bird with multicolored eye faucets and brilliant plumage described in the text
The Distlefink was the good luck bird of the Pennsylvania Germans. It actually was a stylized version of the goldfinch. The goldfinch eats thistle seed and uses thistle down for its nest and was called a thistlefinch from which comes the Pennsylvania Dutch "Distelfink". A single distelfink sign is a symbol of good luck and happiness.

I took this picture Saturday afternoon at the Berks County Heritage Park while on my way to Reading to see the Reading Phillies (Double A minor league baseball team) play the Trenton Thunder (a New York Yankee farm team). I also stopped and walked around the Daniel Boone Homestead.

I'll have pictures of the ballgame that the Trenton Thunder won easily as well the Daniel Boone Homestead to post once I get to my office Monday morning.

10 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Cool. The bird actually reminds me of a peacock that's been attacked by Rainbow Brite though....

MarmiteToasty said...

I wish I could bend my head and neck back that that and scratch the small of me back ;)

I will practise tomorrow..... cos now, Im off to bloody bed...

LOL@ladystyx and Rainbow Brite..

x

MarmiteToasty said...

that that is knackered talk for 'like that' lol

x

Deanna said...

You guys just ain't right. Interestingly anytime I'd ask my dad about our ancestry he would simply say, "you are dutch german". And I've never heard of the Distlefink! Sure is a perty thing though.
Pennsylvania is so rich in history. I can't wait to go back there. First time I visited PA, I was on a business trip. Our 12 yr old grandson (who was living with us at the time) was 3 at the time. He told everyone that Grandma was in Pensaldanga lol.

AliceKay said...

Hey, I think I live in Pensaldanga. :) (very cute)

The Pennsylvania Dutch have brought so many wonderful things to the history of this state. I've seen pics of this bird but never knew what it was called, or if I did at one time, I've since forgotten. No time to check out the links tonight...it's late and I need to get going. Will look forward to your pics tomorrow, Iggy. *hugs*

LadyStyx said...

Never claimed to be. Part of my charm ya know ;)

MarmiteToasty said...

I aint right? maybe thats why me name is Abby....

AbbyNormal LOL

x

Deanna said...

*Waves at Abby*
Nice to meet u - I'm Sil
(silly) - lol it's the best I could come up with.

ChicagoLady said...

Very cool learning more about the Pennsylvania Dutch. And I agree with Styx, the bird does look like it was attacked by Rainbow Brite, lmao. Maybe I should go to PA to get a distlefink to keep in my apt for good luck and happiness. Lord knows I need all the help I can get.

Can't wait to see pictures from the ballgame and from the Daniel Boone Homestead.

LadyStyx said...

Place Distlefink on porch to guard the poor defenseless ORBA from the marauding Charlies.... :)