Steps: 4,425,553
Miles: 1858.32

My older brother is profoundly deaf and is a college professor of math at the Rochester Institute of Technology - National Technical Institute for the Deaf.
A quote from the NTID website says,
In 1968, NTID began providing deaf and hard-of-hearing students with outstanding technical and professional education programs, complemented by a strong liberal arts and sciences curriculum, that prepares them to live and work in the mainstream of a rapidly changing global community and enhances their lifelong learning.
My brother was severely hearing impaired since birth but learned how to talk and lip-read so he is able to "get about" in the hearing world. At work, home, and church, he is able to use American Sign Language. I do not know sufficient sign language to use it to talk to him with it, but have tried to learn it. Its something I would have to use far more frequently than the four or five times a year that I would, if I knew it.
However, he does lip read and can talk normally, so the only thing I need to remember is to not to talk to his back and to enunciate my words clearly. I can even speak silently - external noises and my speech volume is not an issue.
The thing that trips the two of us up from time to time however are the quirks of English of which someone not exposed to mass media would be aware. Idiomatic speech in particular. Letting sleeping dogs lie would mean nothing more than "don't wake up the dog" to him, and he would be rightfully perplexed if I said this to him and there weren't any sleeping dogs around.
To most of us, "let sleeping dogs lie" is to avoid restarting old conflicts and not to re-open old wounds.
I saw this tow truck parked on the street and the phrase just popped into my head. Of course, in this case the sleeping dogs are sleeping OCHAs. I'm thinking the tow truck owner had a conflict with the licensing people and just said, "fuggetabouit".

11 comments:
Your older brother sounds like a remarkable person.
That's the way my eldest brother works too.
He tried to teach me some sign language, but all I was able to pick up was how to sign "f*** off"... I'm guessing I shouldn't use it too often to communicate with a deaf person... Maybe I'll just stick to speaking clearly? LOL!
LOL
Me matie that I stayed with in Maine last summer does American Sign language and use to teach at a deaf school... and whilst watching the concerts outside the before mentioned LLBean shop in Freeport, they had signers on the side of the stage....
x
AND LMFAO@ToriZ's comment lmfao
too funny girl..
x
Im with you Tori. Other than the alphabet, there's only 2 signs that stuck with me....."F off" and "I Love You".
LOL! What Tori said. :-)
Perhaps those OCHA's were at the very back of the trailer, and the driver slammed on his brakes so hard, the OCHA's went flying forward and got stuck where they are now? Perhaps they just needed rescuing by some passing motorist, instead of having their picture taken? LOL
The alphabet is about all I know in ASL. I'm sure at one time I knew a few words, like mother and father and sunrise/sunset, but my brain is a little more fuzzy these days.
Oh yeah... I meant to point out when I did my other comment that I think the sign language over here is - like the language itself - different in some ways to how it is over there.
Interesting combination there Styxie. LOL!
Hmm, ChicagoLady, you might be on to something. Those poor OCHAs... rudely slammed under a a cold bar of steel and now stuck - perhaps hurt and in pain, possibly (but implausibly) with broken (whatever passes for a OCHA) neck and I... I... just stood there and took their picture.
If they had hands - perhaps they would have used the universal sign language gesture Tori mentions at me.
It doesn't look like anything's broken. For reference, go back and review your pictures of ED. Now THAT is broken, lmao.
Post a Comment