Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Here we sit like birds in the wilderness

As of August 5, 2008 at 7:00 AM
Steps: 4,303,987
Miles: 1806.67

two herons standing on a fallen tree in the middle of a half empty canal
Two Herons standing on a fallen tree in the middle of a half empty canal
- Near Yardley, Bucks County, Pennsylvania

The one to the lower right is harder to see, but you can see its reflection in the water. When I walked past them, they peered at me but made no move to fly away. Their resolute sitting reminded me of a song from Boy Scouts, sung many years ago when I went to summer camp (1974?) where 200-300 boys would dine together in a mess hall. Each troop sat roughly 10 boys to the table and when the main course had been devoured (or thrown at each other depending on whether it was deemed edible) the mess hall would fall quiet in anticipation of the highlight of the day, dessert!!

The cooks would stall and hem and haw, and dwaddle and no dessert would be served until the mess hall was perfectly quiet, all tables cleared away, and every one sitting just so... the youngest boy from the troop that won the "clean camp" award that morning would be made to stand and sing this song:

Birds in the Wilderness
Tune: The Old Gray Mare
(To hear the tune - click on the button on this page)
Written By: Unknown

Here we sit like birds in the wilderness
Birds in the wilderness
Birds in the wilderness
Here we sit like birds in the wilderness
Waiting for our ice cream!

Waiting for our ice cream...
Waiting for our ice cream...

Here we sit like birds in the wilderness
Birds in the wilderness
Birds in the wilderness
Here we sit like birds in the wilderness
Waiting for our ice cream!

(repeat until served!)

By the time he sang the word "ice cream" all the boys in the mess hall would have joined in. And before the song was sung through once, even the Scout Masters would be bellering (a combination bellow-yelling but certainly not singing) along.

Usually by the time "Waiting for our ice cream..." had been belted out by the full ensemble, the cooks would beg for mercy and start shipping the ice cream out of the kitchen. It tasted wonderful - even if it was the rectangular white, pink and chocolate ice cream slabs no adult would profess to enjoy.

10 comments:

AliceKay said...

LOL...cute song. (sounds like some pretty good ice cream to me, too)

Cool pic, Iggy. Hope you have a better day today. *hugs*

Karla said...

I must not be an adult cause I love neopolitan ice cream LOL

Deanna said...

Iggy, Iggy, Iggy... Neopolitan icecream is just all American. It is the only icecream that my dad would open the paper icecream container and slice it, rather than scoop it. He only bought it on "special occasions".
Cool picture and even cooler memories. Now fess up, did you start the food fights?

MarmiteToasty said...

I hate neopolitan ice-cream..... I prefer our homemade ice-cream BUT we have just discovered in the back of the freezer in the grocery shop COOKIE-DOUGH ice-cream, I would sell me dead mothers ashes for a carton of that :)

x

whimsical brainpan said...

What a wonderful pic!

I love the song. :-)

LadyStyx said...

*swipes marmie's share of the neopolitan and slides her a bowl of the cookie dough flavor*

Lainie said...

I love ice cream of all flavors...even neopolitan. I'm an ice creamaholic. In fact, I have some ice cream cake leftover in the freezer and I am going to get that right now!
Oh btw cute song Iggy. Somehow I just know you were the one who started flinging mashed potatoes around the mess hall.

Intense Guy said...

*does his best Ollie North defense*

I umm, do not understand the question, can you repeat it please.

I umm, do not recall starting any food fights. I certainly would not have started one with mash potatoes as they were always edible, as was the corn.

The lima beans and string beans that had been boiled to the point of having no internal structure were not edible - however being totally limp and prone to disintegration when picked up probably precluded their use in any or all food fights -

If I did participate in a food fight it was by direct order of a more senior troop member that was not obviously to me at the time or at any time to be unlawful or immoral.

ChicagoLady said...

We have some Great Blue Herons that like to hang out at my "lake" where I live. I usually only see them from my car when I'm not in a good position to take a picture.

I can just picture you being smack dab in the middle of any and all food fights, lol. And I can picture all those hundreds of kids sitting there singing that song until the ice cream gets served, getting louder with each verse, silverware banging on the tables.

Goes to buy a couple cartons of cookie dough for Marmite. Now what to do with her dead mother's ashes? LOL

Anonymous said...

Funny how those annoying and repetative songs are the ones that stick in your mind. LOL!