Both my mother and brother are feted as it is their birthday celebration. Part of the game package includes an all you can eat buffet, a box with a comfortable table, a TV with the game on it, and the use of the right field swimming pool!
If you want, you can see the lovely Holly Frymyer extol the pool and food here. Holly takes care of everything! From parking the cars (free!) to getting extra towels if you need 'em.
The weather was absolutely perfect with temperatures in the mid-70s, low humidity, a gentle breeze into our faces - and with lovely sunset over the third base side of the field. The pool water was nice and comfty too!
My old Boy Scout troop's scoutmaster, his wife, my mom and dad from left to right. The yellow pole is the right field foul pole. The pitcher in the mid-foreground is warming up. Immediately beyond the partition behind my dad is the swim pool!
I was a little hot and sweaty from walking earlier that day at the Daniel Boone Homestead and at the Berks County Heritage Museum where the Distlefink statue is located - so a quick shower in the changing room and a cup of icey diet pepsi and into the pool I went.
I didn't miss any of the game action though. First up, was the visiting team, the Trenton Thunder, who were the league champs last year and lead the league again this year. They are a New York Yankee farm team.
The very first batter at the plate for the Thunder, Reggie Corona, ruined the Reading Phillies no-hitter by hitting a homerun! But bad fielding, the hallmark of the minors, is what hurt the Phillies, 4 errors leading to 6 unearned runs for the Thunder! The ineptitude was almost comical.
While the Thunder easily won 9 to 7, the game came down to the last out in the bottom of the ninth and was very exciting. After the game there was a magnificent fireworks show - with the fireworks launched just beyond the center field fence - so everyone in the stands had "front row seats" and didn't have to move!
The birthday people had a good time despite being another year older and everyone had lots of fun.

27 comments:
Wow, sure sounds like a fun time was had by all. Pretty cool baseball field. Your parents always look so happy, too. :) I'm happy to hear you had a nice time with your family.
A little swimming pool at a match LOL how very quaint..... just showed my Jacob and he said, thats wellabit kewl lol....
When we was in Maine last summer we went 3 times to watch the Portland Seadogs.... cos we really wanted to go to see a doodle sports match of some kind, and me matie had season tickets to see this lot....... it was real strange, baseball is a little like what we call 'rounders' and is usually what girls play in schools lol
But, watching blokes run around the pitch in their PJs was a nice sight lol....
I still didnt understand the game though, even though I had me maties friend giving me a running talk during play in me ear....
I couldnt understand why they didnt just slug the dam ball and run hell for leather....
AND, what did our heads in was the daft antics that happen during the breaks, OMG WTF was all that about.... wellabit cheesey lol
At our breaks in sports games we go and buy a steaming mug of bovril if its winter or an ice-cream if its summer, we DONT have all that daft stuff going on field during the breaks lol.... just to like entertain :)...
we didnt really care that someone dressed as a giant seadog (seal I think) could ride a tiny bike 50 metres to try and win a free ticket to the next game LOL to funny.....
dam, sorry, rambling again....
Im so happy that everyone in your party had a lovely time, those are precious memories....
x
ps........ I wanted a giant foam finger to wave about LOL..... but I never did buy one lmfao...
x
Well, Marmite, we couldn't let you go without a Sea Dog finger of your very own to help you remember the sight of men running the bases in PJs and a racing seal on a bicyle.
I just hope I got you the right finger - there were four to choose from as well as a thumb. :)
It sounds like you had a marvelous time - you must of been on the go non-stop when you were on that visit to Maine. I hope you can come back sometime and take it a little slower.
A doodle tourguide is available at no charge but I can't guarantee you any good squirrel pictures -
If you bring Janet, Mabel and/or Cedric - I know someone that can provide good sweetcorn fed for them.
Ohh... and hopefully you can get a supply of marmite past US customs. I don't think we have any readily available here - and I know US customs were confiscating vegemite (gosh knows why).
Sounds like fun! I'm glad everyone enjoyed. :)
a baseball field with a swimming pool? Hey I may learn to like baseball LOL
Hmm are you sure iggy? I got curious as this wasnt the first time the ban was mentioned...so I looked it up in the one place I knew would either confirm or deny it. I think someone may wanna try and bring some through and see what happens.
Re:Vegemite ban
Upon further review:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration states that although it is technically illegal in the U.S. to add folate to food products other than bread or cereal, there were no plans to investigate whether Vegemite contains folate, to subject it to an import ban, or to have it withdrawn from U.S. supermarket shelves.
The U.S. Customs and Border Protection states on its website that 'there is no known prohibition on the importation of Vegemite.'
I'm going to go ensure the US has a marmite supply. Thanks for the correction, LadyStyx. :)
I have to say, that just looks like a ton of fun...I'd say I wish I had been there, but afraid a Texan in that area would have a short life span...
thanks for coming by and saying howdy..come back any time..I don't have a dress code..
by the way?...how did you find me?
Hi Yellowdog-Granny:
I met you via Whimsical-Brainpan's blog - I think the post was about pre-season football.
I must have said something unfortunate. :)
:) LOVE the finger lol
Ive sent loads of marmite to doodleland.... but only 2 of me maties have liked it.... Ive also sent cheeses LMFAO and pork pies and scrummies and sweeties and all sorts.... and when we flew over we had a whole holdall stuffed with unallowables lmfao.....how we got it all in the country, I just dont know....
Trust me with your address and I will send you a survival parcel :)
*waving me foam finger* lol
x
WooooooHoooooooo no dress code, so its all over to grannys blob to get naked LMFAO
x
*perkz* nekkid bloggin?
*follows the conga line into yellerdawg's blog....*
Tucking all me dangly bits in me socks so as to participate in the congo LOL
x
I bet the game was a lot of fun. Where's your brother though? Is he camera shy?
Holly's video presentation was nice, but that pool looked awfully crowded.
Were you able to keep score while in the pool? LOL
Your stadium is a lot bigger than the one we have for our single A team. It's very cozy and intimate, very easy to see everything that happens.
Double A baseball games are so much fun. I enjoy going to the NH Fishercats games even though they are affiliated with the Blue Jays and not the Red Sox. Maybe I can get George to go to Portland to see the Seadogs with me.
Looks like everyone in your party had a blast. (I love your dad's eyes in the picture. LOL He looks like quite the character)
ok that field looks like it is a back ytard for a 5 star motel..A swimming pool for spectators.. wow you lot sure are spoiled over there...Aussie fields are just that a field with seating around no swimming pool unless there is a swimming hole near by in which case if it is in the NT you dont wanna swim with the crocs..Baseball is very much like our softball played in school and as adults but a female sport...
Have to say I always love Marmites comments
Takes a nap from all the reading I had to do before I comment. LOL.
That swimming pool looks refreshing. I would have jumped in too. Your parents are such a sweet couple, Iggy. (treausure them, by the way). Marmite you crack me up. With all your talents, I'll bet you could make one of those foam fingers and use it on your neighbor (yes, I read your blogs - just haven't commented yet lol. They are always very interesting)
*comes back to look at the pix again*
My goodness dad's got a set of dimples on him. Definitely a bit of an impish look on his face...like a "what kinda trouble can I get into now" look.
Definetly that Bilbo Baggins look lol do you all live in the 'shire'? lol
x
Puts out string of orange traffic safety cones for the conga dancers to weave around and averts his eyes as Marmite tucks her "dangly bits" in her socks and makes a note to email Marmite - hopefully today.
*jumps up and down alllll excited!!!!!* Dad has his Captain Bob hat on! I made that! It looks so good! LOL he does have an impish smile. You hit the nail on the head Marmite - Bilbo Baggins it is.
He wears that hat (or one of its brothers) everywhere he goes. He has a "clean" one for wearing to places like the ballgame and a "soiled" one for wearing while working in the yard or what have you.
:)
Post a Comment