
Yesterday while walking I spotted this little bird on the side of the trail. I don't know what it is, but I assume some one's parakeet (or similar caged house bird) got loose. This bird just looked up at me and just gave me a soft peep. I was a couple miles from my car and at least a mile from the nearest house. I stood there a while pondering what I should do. I was afraid to try pick it up - and carrying it a couple miles didn't seem to reasonable a thing to do - I think stuffing it in my pocket would have traumatized it badly.
I took it's picture and sadly left it there. I will never know what became of this little bird. The best outcome would be it was really a wild bird, perhaps just blown a little ways from where they normally call home. Or perhaps it had escaped being caged and was enjoying its freedom for a while... and maybe it knew its way home.
I hate it when this sort of thing happens. We often feel like we should be in charge of what goes on around us, and a little two-ounce bird sitting in the sunlight besides a gravel path miles from anywhere... just left me indecisive, and at worse questioning myself for what I did.
I checked the lost and found in the local paper today and saw nothing - and even if it I did see something resembling this bird - what would I say? "Hello, I saw your bird and took its picture yesterday a couple miles out on the trail, I left it there, it might still be there... and it might even still be alive."
I... just got to let it go... I guess. I'll never be macho like Mr. T, huh?

12 comments:
Unfortunately, "domesticated" birds, like that parakeet, do occasionally get free. Additionally, unless it learns to migrate, it will have a very hard time surviving this winter (if it lives that long).
Awwwwww Iggy. There isn't anything you could have done differently. And maybe it is not domesticated and just wandered away from the next. You'll never know but you did the right thing. Mr. T would have been proud of you.
Nest.. NOT next (I hate it when that happens lol)
There wasn't much else you could do, Iggy, so please don't beat yourself up over it. *hugs*
I just looked at the picture again. Amazing how the little guy blends in with his surroundings. You did the right thing Iggy.
I know how you feel but you have to trust that the little guy is ok. Sometimes we just have no control over a situation. Not only is Mr. T proud of you, I am too. Hugs
You did the right thing Iggy... Best to leave it alone and just hope for the best. *hugs*
I reckon a stoat came along once you had left and sneaked up behind it and grabbed by the neck and swallowed it whole.....I bet the little bird was looking longingly at your warm safe pocket pleading with its little birdie eyes for you to pick it up ........itstead it was dragged chirping and flapping into the home of the McStoats and was plucked and nibbled to death by 5 baby stoats.....
Either that or it hopped and followed you back to your car and it stood behind your car in the car park, waiting for a ride to home, and you backed over it, squashing it into the tread of your tyres...... GO CHECK YA CAR TYPES for feathers...
Mmmm I think I might of read to much Beatrice Potter LOL....
I think it was enjoying its freedom, I HATE caged birds with a purple passion......
Awww *HUGZ*
It's okay Iggy...don't worry...what else could you do?
*hugssssssssss*
btw that's a cockatiel..so it is a domesticated bird...However, most cockatiels bite so it was probably best you left it alone
Toasty:
You certainly paint a cheerful picture... LOL!
Post a Comment