Monday, April 21, 2008

Writings From the Attic


Williams Cottage Inn - Beach Haven, Long Beach Island, NJ

This circa 1886 Queen Anne style Victorian home was completely renovated recently. They took two or three years to complete the extensive work. Acording to the Williams Cottage Inn's Bed and Breakfast website, which has some awesome pictures of the insides, an overnight stay is "only" about $275 a night.


The Next Door Neighbor

This house is right next door (you can see it in the first picture on the right) and was built as a "reflection" (one house is left-handed, the other right-handed) and other than being painted some time ago, hasn't seen the same love. It's still a charming place to see while walking the ocean lane.

These reminded me of something I wrote a long time ago.

------------------------------

The reversal of certain things is this idea of mine. Ponder it and see if you don't think it would be fine, for instead of some things costing, they would reward, if they only operated backwards instead of forward!

What if a light bulb absorbed the shadows of the night instead of extravagantly beaming rays of light? Toward the electric plant, down the wire would flow the black darkness collected, our pile of black coal to grow.

And what if potatoes where cubic and flat-sided, instead of lumpy with ev'ry surface all-rounded? The chore of pealing would turn into something appealing, and 'taterskin concoctions would need to be most congealing!

And what if one could eat munchies and chocolate sins, instead of eating carrot sticks and still be nicely thin? The negative calorie would be quite a creation. it's creator would surely be an overnight mega-sensation!

And what if one could make the wall clock run contrary-wise, and make an early morning hour signal the day's demise? "And why would you want to do that?" you might snicker and say; Well it sure would allow things to get done before yesterday!

And what if the large number of bad jokes were funny, and the rare good joke like a sore nose that is runny? We would groan a lot less and graffaw quite a bit more, and you would have enjoyed this entry more for sure!

------------------------------

And for those of you that are brave... Big Chip, a landmark at an amusement park I went to every weekend when I was a little boy spending the summers in Beach Haven, NJ. Perhaps this explains my facination with the Car Cabob seen elsewheres.

4 comments:

LadyStyx said...

That is a beautiful house. Some day when I grow up I want one just like it (the renovated one...although I wouldnt turn down the white one either).

I could deal with the reversal...everything fattening (that I love) would make one thin and those healthy food (which I so unwisely ignore) would make one fat. Hey, I'd be a skinny minnie then!!

AliceKay said...

I found the link to the "Big Chip" very interesting. I went to the New York World's Fair in 1964 with my parents and my older sister. My dad flew us down in his plane and we stayed overnight at a hotel in NY someplace. (i have no idea where) About the only exhibits I really remember was the giant sphere and the Disney It's A Small World . I can still hear those little puppets singing away..just like this. Nice memories. :)

Love today's post, Iggy. *hugs*

(i see Styxie beat me to the punch with her comment while i was watching Kristi Yamaguchi kick ass)

Intense Guy said...

Styxie, I would guess they spent something like $300,000 to $400,000 with the renovations and furnishings. The white house used to be the "better looking" place until last year! :)

Alice Kay, I find it neat that people's paths cross long before they meet each other - I rode the "Small World" ride at Disney when I was about 10 years old (so it was a little after you did) and you might of saw Big Chip about the same number of years before I did too.

It's a world of laughter
- A world of tears
It's a world of hopes
- And a world of fears
There's so much that we share
- That it's time we're aware
It's a small world after all

It's a small world after all
It's a small world after all
It's a small world after all
It's a small, small world...

...has been in my head all morning :)

AliceKay said...

:)