Steps: 2,348,433
Miles: 985.20
Dear Diary: I find myself confined to the grounds of the Norristown State (Mental) Hospital where the gentlemen in white coats have recently brought me. I find myself alone and badly tormented by the fact that the hospital staff wear bright orange-colored scrubs.
I have been left with only my diary, simple clothes, and my camera. I have been given a couple guides by the hospital, one that claims I can feel wonderful in as little as 10 days, and the other is titled "How to Enjoy Your Stay at the Norristown State Hospital."
After sitting for the longest while, a hospital orderly informs me I will be walking with him to the Doctor's House, where I will be evaluated and a treatment plan developed for me.
According to the "How to Enjoy Your Stay" guide, my trip to the Doctor's House will take me along the road past the Sheetz House. While waiting to leave for the doctor's place, I read this blurb:
In 1828, Daniel Sheetz owned some of the mills along the Stony Creek. The dam that supplied water power to the mills was destroyed in 1831. Daniel Sheetz died in 1845, and his sons Jacob and Mathias Sheetz then ran the mills. Their property consisted of 53 acres, 9 of which were watered meadow (that is, swamp), 10-12 acres woodlands, and the remaining acreage was cultivated and surrounded with fencing. The property contained a large stone mill with two water wheels. A clover and oil mill as well as a two-story stone house and other outbuildings were on the property. The property was purchased in 1895 by the State Hospital.
Today, this area of the Norristown Farm Park holds two houses - the Sheetz House, which was built in 1870 and originates from the Sheetz family, and the Doctor's House (Dr. Butler), which was built in 1900.

The Sheetz House
Enjoying the fresh air and the walk, I pass the Sheetz House and see little sign of life, let alone mills and cultivated fields. The birds are chirping and some butterflies are about... but there is no sign of any Sheetzs. Maybe the Sheetz are all at work pumping gas and making those excellent sandwiches they have.

The 'Watered Meadow' in Front of the Sheetz House
I walk down the long entry path in front of the Sheetz house and view my surroundings. If I am to escape my warders, I may need some galoshes. I see a path on the other side and it beckons me. Is this the way to freedom? I ask the hospital orderly about what I see, and he said that the path went to the Castner House and onward into town. Little does he know what satisfaction I gather from his answer.

Map Showing Walk in Purple
The dotted yellow marks my planned escape route.

The Doctor's House
The Doctor was not 'in'. In fact, I don't think the doctor has been 'in' for a long, long time. The hospital orderly tells me not to worry as things will be okay and that he will find another doctor for me. I have to assume Doctor Butler is playing golf somewhere.

On the walk back to my room, I spot these Cement-Headed Door Watchers taunting me and twisting my mind as they are obviously not watching any doors. I despair of ever getting better.

6 comments:
Oh Joy!! A new resident!! They did tell you that you're allowed to decorate your own room right? *pulls out huge book of rubber padded wallpaper samples*
Oh look...a birdy *points out window and removes all samples with orange and/or triangle shapes on them out of the book and hides them while you look out the window*....
See...this one's a nice one for you...all covered with blue skies and hummingbirds!!
Oh and before I forget...you get to pick ya own "ILuvMe" jacket too!! *flashes her little black Gucci jacket with brass fasteners*. This one's for formal occassions...whatcha think??
Sends Iggy and Styxy both a get well card, making sure it is subdued pastel colors with no triangles of any kind. Although it was difficult, I changed the W in well to an O and signed it with Lobe Yo. Enclosed is an extra memory card for your digital cameras.
Styxie..don't just redecorate his room SAVE HIM!! lol after all you are James Bond's current woman LMAO
Thank you Styx for the decorations, and you Punkn for the digital film.
*takes the harmonica from Punkn's other hand and starts to play a slow, mournful rendition of "Home of the Range"*
As the tune plays, the hospital staff starts to sing with much spirit:
Oh, give me a hooooome... where the buffalo rooooam,
Where the deer and the antelope plaaaaaay;
Where seldom is he-aaaard... a discouraging worrrrd,
And the skies are not cloudy all daaaaay...
And as they reach the last stanza, I put down the harmonica and softly sing:
And the roads are not filled with cone-heaaaaaadssss....
*lafffz*
*joins iggy in song*
Puts the digital camera down and grabs the video.... this is WAYYYYYY too good for still shots. Quietly hums along... headdsssssss
Post a Comment