Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Thrilla (ain't) in Manila

As of April 9, 2008 at 8:00 AM
Steps: 2,271,808
Miles: 953.77

Most of you are probably way too young to remember the "Thrilla in Manila" (Gosh, I sound like Eddie Haskell don't I?) but it was quite an event back in the day.

Muhammad Ali's third fight against his arch rival Smokin' Joe Frazier was the last match in the long lasting struggle between the two Heavyweights who faced each other repeatedly in the boxing ring. The "Thrilla in Manila" is considered one of the most brutal and bitter bouts in the history of boxing and it took place on October 1, 1975.

Howard Cosell called the fight. Many people found listening to his distinctive staccato voice, accent, syntax, and cadence a form of torture. Later, when he did Monday Night Football, there was always a rush to find the mute button on the remote in my family at game time.

Anyway, I digress. A couple of days ago, while walking to the local supermarket, I saw a brutal and bitter bout that reminded me of the "Thrilla".



Ring Announcer: In this corner-er-rrrr, the challenger-er-rrr from the planet Epsilon Omega, weighing 4 pounds, 2 ouncessss, four-time champ-peon-on-nnn of the Gamma Quadrant... Mike Tyson O'Conehead-ed-ddd!!!

And in this-is corner-er-rrrr, the reigning heavyweight champ-peon-on-nnn of the Universe-erse, from the planet Thyron Omicron, weighing 5 pounds, one and three quarter ounces, Evander O'Striped Barrell-ell!!!

Referee: Okay boys, I wanna nice clean fight, it goes 8 rounds, and go to your corner when I tell ya.

Cosell: I must tell you folks, I am egg-site-ted to be hee-er to-night to bring you this fight be-tween bit-tah, bit-tah foes. This is go-ing to be quite a bat-tle.

[Ding!]


Cosell: Oh! What a blow by Mike! That was a blin-ding fast right up-per cut! E-Van-DER is DOWN!!

Referee: 1! 2! 3! ...okay...

Cosell: E-Van-DER is back up! He IS bleed-ing BAD-ly!


Cosell: Oh! What a blow by E-Van-DER! That was a blin-ding round house to the FACE! Mike is DOWN!! Mike is DOWN!! Folks! this is egg-sight-ting! I'm tell-ing it like it is!

Referee: 1! 2! 3! 4! 5! ...okay...

Cosell: Mike is back up! He IS STAG-GER-GERD!


Cosell: Oh-my-god! Mike has bit-ten E-van-der's ear! What a con-SU-matt dis-Grace! Who can BE-lieve he would do such a thing!?

I walked away after that. I think boxing is a disgusting "sport". :)

6 comments:

AliceKay said...

I think boxing is a disgusting sport, too. (but i loved the Rocky movies) :)

Deanna said...

ditto
well, ditto about boxing being a disgusting sport. I wasn't a big fan of the Rocky movies. I did like that recent one of the girl boxer - the name of the movie excapes me. I never would have thought you'd get so much mileage out of things that are orange Iggy. Keep on keeping on!

LadyStyx said...

punkn: Million Dollar Baby starring Hillary Swank.

Im not fond of boxing either but omg your Cosell is spot on. I reaches for the remote to hit the mute but then I remembered, I was reading and I cant mute that.

Ausgrl said...

OMG I remember "The Thriller From Manilla" It's Gonna be a Chilla, and a Killa, and a Thrilla and it was. I was 12 years old and really into boxing at the stage as well as a HUGE Ali fan. It was almost a fight to the death until Frazier trainer ( I think ) had it ended in the 14th round. It took ten rounds before Frazier tired out though..Yep I was a huge boxing fan. Back when boxing was just that boxing and night and nothing like Tyson who bit off a part of Holyfields ears.
Anyway I digress from the street fighting biting cones from Omega and Gammett. I think a rematch us in order :-)

Intense Guy said...

Thank you LadyStyx. I think Clint Eastwood was in this movie, if so, it was probably one of his better post-"Dirty Harry" movies.

Punkn - I could blog about Orange Coneheads forever it seems. I'm trying to rein it in though. It isn't healthy. :)

AliceKay said...

I have the dvd of "Million Dollar Baby" but it's one of those movies I bought but haven't watched yet. :\