Steps: 2,630,068
Miles: 1100.69
It's a little freaky virtual walking between Sulfolk and Norfolk, Virginia at the very same time three tornados hit the area. So while I'm not really there, I hope the people in the area get things back together quickly and can get on with their lives with as little disruption possible.
I've already finished walking my "goal" milage for the month - I was basically done Sunday with 207.8 miles leaving me three days to finish off 2.2 miles - you all have really inspired me to keep on keeping on. Thank you.

The sign reads:
NW 15 Dismal Swamp Canal
This canal, which connects Chesapeake Bay and Albemarle Sound, was chartered by Virginia in 1787 and North Carolina in 1790. It opened to traffic in 1805 and is now part of the Intracoastal Waterway. The area was visited by William Byrd II in 1728 when he surveyed the boundary between Virginia and North Carolina. In 1763, George Washington explored the area and organized the Dismal Swamp Land Company to drain it for farmland. The Great Dismal Swamp is now a National Wildlife Refuge.
George Washington was a very busy man - Washington acquired a 5,000 acre share in The Dismal Swamp Land Company which held 40,000 acres. There was little money to be made in land sales, but Washington produced cedar shingles after the Revolutionary War and that proved very profitable. A canal was dug for use in shipping the shingles and other wood products
William Bryd II was a very wealthy man and the founder of the City of Richmond and provided the land where the city was laid out in 1737.

Picture Source and Much More Information

5 comments:
Very interesting Information as always!!
Congratulations on reaching your monthly goal early. You are an inspiration. I can see where it would be a tad wierd to be virtual walking through an area where disaster hit. Living in Tornado Alley, I have hunkered down and prayed many times that the tornado would pass us over, and so far it has. My heart goes out to those who are now trying to put their lives back together again.
Congrats on making the monthly goal. I look forward to what you'll dig up next about my state.
William Byrd, isn't he also their senator? He's old enough to have visited the Great Dismal Swamp in 1728.
LOL@ChicagoLady. You are thinking of Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia, who might be his brother though LOL! Actually, Robert Byrd was adopted and is no blood relation to any Byrd.
Senator Robert Byrd
Post a Comment