Monday, June 30, 2008

Mommy! Mommy!

As of June 30, 2008 at 7:00 AM
Steps: 3,715,849
Miles: 1556.22

Sunday evening I took a short walk on the Schuylkill River bike trail to stretch my legs and I saw a deer wander across the path. This isn't really anything new, so I pretty much just watched it amble across the path and munch some leaves on the edge of the path, finally hopping into the woods as I got nearer. I pulled my camera out in case the deer was still nearby in the woods and whoa...

Deer staring at me from 5-6 feet away with BIG eyes and floopy ears
The Deer was just off the trail and looking directly at me!

I took the picture and smiled. The camera clicking made its ears fly up and the deer started to "twitch" - but it did not run off. I whispered, "see you later" and walked on.

I heard some cloppety cloppety noise behind me and I turned and saw the deer was following me on the trail.

The deer on the trail, walking along behind me
The Deer following only ten feet behind me!

I thought to myself, "Mommy! Mommy, it followed me home! Can I keep it??!?"

9 comments:

AliceKay said...

Wow....that's what you call a close encounter. Awesome pics, Iggy.

And I see now how you have your pics "tagged" but I don't know how you did it.

LadyStyx said...

Sure darling! It'll save us on getting gas for the mower!

That's friggin awesome though. When I lived in NY, there was a stretch of the Thruway where, if you timed it right and went thru at just the right hour, you'd see a small herd of them grazing in the early morning. While in the trailor in Kirkville, we'd often get a buck and a couple does go across the back part of the property. Never got that close though.

Deanna said...

Awwwwww, Bambi. Makes me hungry for sume good ol' deer steaks... Just kidding! Awesome shots. The only time I've gotten that close to a deer was at the Garden of the Gods in Colorado. They are tame and eat right out of your hands.

AliceKay said...

We have deer out in the fields by me every night. There is one doe who also comes around in the morning. I watch her from the kitchen window. She was running around the morning we were chasing cows, too.

Anonymous said...

I know my Mam wouldn't let me keep it if it followed me home. LOL!

That's a brave little deer. Normally a camera would make it at least jump and become wary of you.

MarmiteToasty said...

Wow what a great photo, and how special for a deer to follow you.....

What do you call a deer with only one eye...... no idea :)

x

Intense Guy said...

*laughs at Toasty*

Welcome to my "mental noise". :)

ChicagoLady said...

Cloppety cloppety? LMAO

I've been to Garden of the Gods, and I've never seen deer there to eat out of anyone's hands. That would be cool, though.

Isn't it amazing, and awesome, and spectacular, when you can get that close to nature? It always makes me think about the impact humans have had on this land we call home.

Lainie said...

That's really sweet. I love those close encounters with nature, although mine have been very rare indeed. ;-)