Steps: 3,486,486
Miles: 1458.55

What do YOU think of when someone says "New York State?" For me, a lot of things come to mind.
New York is the Empire state and is home to the Empire State Building.

New York also has lots of water. Lake Erie, the Erie Canal, The Finger Lakes, Niagara Falls, and the infamous Hudson River. The Saint Lawrence Seaway, Lake Champlain, and the Thousand Islands...
New York is home to the Baseball Home of Fame in Cooperstown, and the Major League teams of the Yankees and Mets, as well as the past home for the Dodgers, and the Giants.
New York also likes it's football. It is home to one Major League team, the Buffalo Bills. They like to think the New Jersey Giants and the New Jersey Jets are their teams too, but they play at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
And who can forget the Billy Joel's "New York State of Mind" or the Oak Ridge Boys singing their classic "Elmira!", you know, it goes:
Eyes that look like heaven, lips like sherry wineWell, no, it really doesn't go that way, but I think it should...
That girl can sure enough make my little light shine
I get a funny feelin' up and down my spine
'Cause I know that my Elmira's mine
So I'm singin'
Elmira, Elmira
My heart's on fire Elmira
Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow
Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow
Heigh-ho Silver, away
Tonight I'm gonna meet her at the Hungry House Cafe
And I'm gonna give her all the love I can
She's gonna jump and holler 'cause I saved up my last two dollars
We're gonna search and find that preacher man.
Wine, Apples, Fall Foliage, Rip Van Winkle, Lake Placid - the scene of the "Miracle on Ice", and Long Island with its tea, rich folks in the Hampsteads, flounders, and that Raymond guy that everyone loves.
Its a pretty big state with lots of things in it. Some might think of the "Big Apple" and others, like me, of Schermerhorn Harbor. Whoa, back up... Schermerhorn Harbor?

Schermerhorn Harbor
In 1924, Lee and Tina Schermerhorn started building a camp for themselves on the Saint Lawrence River in the Thousand Islands. Along came a fisherman to rent it before it was even completed, thus the beginning of the cottage and boat rentals...
Looking at the pictures... its easy to see why.

3 comments:
I LOVE NEW YORK! You're moving right along, Iggy. In New York already. Wow! Great post, too. Love the "Elmira" song. LOL
Thanks for including Schermerhorn Harbor (formerly known as Schermerhorn's Landing) in this post. For those of you who have no idea where or what that is, check out the link. If you're wondering why he included it in this post, I'll just say that Terri's mom's maiden name is Schermerhorn. (goes to find more pics) :)
I miss NY. Go ORANGEMEN (Syracuse University)!! You should take a side detour through the Catskills (they gotta game in those mountains...saw my first giraffe there). You also wanna hit Silvan Beach (Eddie's has got awesome fish for cheap prices...but there's usually a wait to get in if you're not early). Also you wanna go to the Adirondacks...visit Indian Lake (yeah the Indian Lake from the song). Man ....I miss being there. Not much for me up there now though.
I think of many things when I hear New York State. Most of them you've mentioned already. I also think of Broadway, Ellis Island, The Statue of Liberty, and most recently because of the book I'm STILL reading, the attempt to have the US Capital located in New York City.
Leave it to Iggy to put in an important shout out to his reader's relations, lol.
Post a Comment