Sunday, June 22, 2008

Mile 1507 - Amityville, NY


On November 13, 1974, police discovered six members of the DeFeo family -- father, mother and four of their five children -- shot and killed execution style at 112 Ocean Avenue in Amityville, New York.

By 1977, the DeFeo home would be the center of a haunted house story when a runaway bestseller titled The Amityville Horror, written by Jay Anson, took the nation by storm.

According to the story, Father Mancusco arrived to bless the family's new home on the same day they moved into it. While the Lutzes unloaded their rented moving van, the Catholic priest entered the house and began his ritual blessing alone. He made his way upstairs to the second floor and entered the northeast bedroom, which had been Marc and John DeFeos’ room.

As he sprinkled holy water around the room and recited a prayer, he heard a loud male voice allegedly say, “Get out!” Although the priest supposedly did not tell the family about the voice, he did warn them about the room, saying, “Don’t use it as a bedroom. Don’t let anyone sleep in there.” The Lutzes followed the priest's advice, turning the room into a sewing room.

Purportedly, things worsened over the next few weeks. From the stench of bile to the smell of cheap perfume, the family became increasingly perplexed by the mysterious odors that would emanate from different locations of the house. Black stains appeared on the toilets and could not be lifted even with Clorox. Green slime ran down walls, although there appeared to be no reason or source. Hundreds of flies appeared in the sewing room despite it being the dead of winter...

Source

The Virtual Walker, while he doesn't believe in a lot of things, he does believe that there are a lot of mysterious things "going on 'out there'" that he doesn't know or understand, is going to walk a little bit faster for a little while.

6 comments:

Karla said...

My son just watched that movie LOL I always thought it was pretty stupid and not scary at all...my son agreed with that!

AliceKay said...

I'm not into horror movies, but I think I read the book a long time ago. (watch out for spooks, Iggy)

Deanna said...

I read the book many years ago. Is someone living in the house nowadays? I think I'd be too spooked. I definitely believe in ghosts. A true story here: When my Uncle Alex died, my cousin and her family bought the house he had lived in. Shortly after they moved in things would disappear, lights would turn on that had been turned off, and all sorts of other strange things. My cousin finally decided it was Uncle Alex and started talking to him and telling him to put things back... and darned if things didn't start reappearing after they disappeared! Booooooooooooooooo

LadyStyx said...

Have been in a few haunted homes. Oh they werent to this extent but things did happen. I've been pretty much like punkn's cousin....put my foot down firmly and told them enough. You want to stay, that's fine, just leave me and mine ALONE. Once I put my foot down, things generally stop. Someone tell me if I've blogged those events before or not. If not I'll put an entry up about some of them.

Deanna said...

I've never seen those experiences styxy... would be an interesting read!

Intense Guy said...

I'd like to hear more of your ghostly experiences.

I don't know if I believe in them per se' but I do think there is something "going on out there" that I don't quite see.. its like something just barely out of view of the corner of my eye.