Friday, June 6, 2008

Oyster Creek and the Inn

As of June 6, 2008 at 7:00 AM
Steps: 3,311,209
Miles: 1383.92
Miles to New York: 62.08

For many a summer, summer time was spent in Beach Haven, NJ, where my brothers and I would play in the sand at the beach, swim in the surf, prod the hermit crabs in the puddles the falling tide left along the bay, fish, eat, ride our bikes, play miniature golf, and go to Atlantic City with Uncle Henry and Aunt Hazel and the gang as well as doing whole bunch of other things.

Two other of these activities come immediately to my mind as I virtually walk from Port Republic to Manahawkin along Route 9. Both were special treats and both involved boat rides! One to the Oyster Creek Inn in Leed's Point and the other to the Steward's Root Beer place in Tuckerton.


The Oyster Creek Inn sits right on the Oyster Creek deep into the salt marshes to the west of Beach Haven (and north of Atlantic City). The ride would take us from Beach Haven to Holgate then past the abandoned "Fish Factory" and across the Great Bay and up the creek seemingly in the middle of nowhere.


At the end of an unpaved gravel road off of Route 9, stood the restaurant, a boardwalk-like dock, some dilapidated looking shacks, sheds, some dubious looking cottages, piles of empty oyster shells, and some fishing boats that were always painted a light blue color. The blue paint was the hallmark of the charter boat fleet that sailed from here - their captains always seemed to be successful when it came to finding fish to catch.


We would tie up the boat right in front of the restaurant, take in the sights (and the smells), enjoy a delicious and hearty seafood meal, and then ride home again.

Those, too, were the days. :) I might write more about the Steward's Root Beer place and the Fish Factory some other time if anyone wants me to.

Source of Photos

3 comments:

Deanna said...

Your memories are what storybooks are made of. I would love to read about the Root Beer place and the Fish Factory.

Karla said...

*hugs* Iggy...I see so many places when I read your blog

LadyStyx said...

*agrees with punkn n karla*