Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sleepy George

As of June 25, 2008 at 7:00 AM
Steps: 3,633,564
Miles: 1521.19
Miles to Connecticut: 62.81

Last year, the town of Chestertown, Maryland celebrated it's 300 birthday.


Chestertown is the home of Washington College. Founded in 1782 under the patronage of George Washington, Washington College was the first college chartered in the new nation. Today it ranks among the nation's top 100 selective liberal arts colleges.


On June 2, 1789, George Washington, first President of the United States of America, came to Washington College to receive an honorary degree. It is the only college to use his name with his approval.


On Saturday, I walked around the town on brick sidewalks and noticed this sign. The sign reads, "Worrells Tavern - Site of the tavern where George Washington dined and lodged on his return from Philadelphia, March 23, 1791, while he was President of the United States of America."


Oh, of course, George Washington slept here.

If you ever get to Chestertown, its worth stopping for a few moments - and walking the old tree lined streets. I stopped in a rare book store and saw a first edition copy of "Misty of Chincoteague". The shop proprietor looked at me like I was going to slip a book in my pocket or something and when I inquired about the price I realized it wasn't anything personal. :)

Rare books are priced well out of my league. This one was $280 and it remained in the store when I walked out.

3 comments:

AliceKay said...

Reminds me of a book a friend of mine sent me to look at a year or two ago. Terri and I searched online to see if it was available for sale and saw how rare it was and how much it was worth. LOL (ty, iggy)

LadyStyx said...

I've never owned a book that old. I'd read them til they're nearly threadbare anyhow. Im working at getting my hands on some of the books I loved to read as a kid. I want them in the house for when children start coming along. Ok ok...I just wanna read em again.LOL

ChicagoLady said...

I'll have to check out the book I'm reading, yes I'm STILL reading the book on Alexander Hamilton, to see if Worrells is mentioned in it.