Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Mom's Parents

As of June 11, 2008 at 7:00 AM
Steps: 3,389,520
Miles: 1417.22


My Granddad and Grandmom
- taken 1947 in Salem, Massachusetts


My grandparents were visiting their oldest son, my Uncle Johnny and his wife, Aunt Ilene, who rented a house behind the one in view -

My Grandfather was a "wireless operator" in the Navy during WWI. I have his handbook for radio operators in safekeeping. He and Granny lived in Boston, Massachusetts until they retired - and moved to a small farm in Milton Mills, New Hampshire. I remember the farmhouse having a fireplace, a manual "turn the crank wringer" washing machine, and the rocky walls that went around the fields... one of the fields out back had a huge patch of wild strawberries. The berries were small but tasty, but what I remember more than eating them was how they smelled - their scent mixed with the grasses wafted in the summer sun. Granny didn't drive, she had always had a street car, trolly bus, or city bus just out front of her place while in Boston - so the move to the middle of nowhere was a big adjustment for her.

My Uncle and Aunt, soon after the time this picture was taken, moved to California because he had allergies and got skin rashes. His doctor said the dry air out west might be good for him. They moved to Los Angeles and he worked at Hughes Aircraft. Uncle Johnny was also a big radio / technology buff.


My Granddad and Grandmom
- taken in February 1963 at Knott's Berry Farm, California


This picture was taken while my grandparents were visiting my Uncle and Aunt in California.

My grandparents had a fat little yellow and white mutt named Suzy. Most of us called her "Sue-sue". She was a happy dog, very good around others, and she loved to lick faces. If you got her going with the licking by sticking your tongue out at her, she'd start licking you until you had no skin left! She must of stayed with someone while her folks were out visiting Knott's Berry Farm.

Knott's Berry Farm started when Walter and Cordelia Knott moved to the then-sleepy community of Buena Park, California in 1920. Today, their farm is part of 160-acre Knott's Berry Farm, America's first theme park and the 12th most-visited amusement park in the country.

I wonder if Granny rode the roller coaster... :)

6 comments:

AliceKay said...

Nice pictures, Iggy. Your grandparents look like happy folks. :)

Intense Guy said...

Alice Kay, they were married to each other "forever" and if I had to use a word for them it would be "contented". They always seemed content with their lot in life. They didn't fuss about much and lived pertty simply.

LadyStyx said...

Awesome share!

Intense Guy said...

Thank youse Styxie. :)

Intense Guy said...

My mom read this and had a couple things to add -

1) We took in Sue-sue while my Grandparents went west. She got along very well with my parent's dog. I was too young at the time to remember any of this though.

2) My grandparents drove down to Philadelphia from New Hampshire before heading west. My parents took my grandparents to the Philadelphia train station and they took the train across the country (both ways) because granny wanted to experience what it was like. She was like that :)

ChicagoLady said...

Only took me three tries to get in here to comment.

In all the times I've been to California, I've never been to Knott's Berry Farm.

I love all the history of your family that you have Iggy. I'm very jealous.