Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Illustrated Catalogue

As of June 10, 2008 at 7:00 AM
Steps: 3,372,295
Miles: 1409.93
Miles to New York: 36.07

While cleaning out a closet at my Dad's old business location, I encountered a box filled with old papers and books. One of these books was titled "Illustrated Catalogue - Chas. Mousley and Sons, Philadelphia, Pa." Charles was my paternal grandfather's uncle. The "catalogue" was printed in 1903, the cover page is shown below:


Cover Pageof the Illustrated Catalogue

This leather-bound book is 100 pages long and filled with brass and bronze items that the family foundry used to produce - be it bells, door knobs, lock sets, pullys, hinges, drawer pulls, ship port holes, wardrobe hooks, and windown sash latches.


Sample Listing from the Illustrated Catalogue

It also depicts as a bunch of items I don't recognize or know I've never seen, things like "ewer holders" (which were apparently gizmos that held water pitchers).

Tucked away in this book was a newspaper article from The Philadelphia Inquirer, dated Novemeber 11, 1923 which discusses how one can make their very on radio (complete with parts list showing a bunch of tubes) so they could listen to "long distance radio broadcasts". I am guessing it was "AM".


But it was an ad on the flipside of the article that caught my eye. An ad placed by Lit Brothers department store - This was my Grandmother's favorite store.

One of the listings is for a $7.50 Rotary Washer, [on sale for] $4.49! The ad touts it is "Absolutely perfect. Cedar tub with stave legs." Another hawks $2.00 Step Ladder [on sale for] $1.69, and notes it is a "5-step size".

The biggest sign of the change in the times is the tag line, "Items of Special Importance to Housewives - Busy with Fall's Many Home Duties!" I seriously doubt any marketing guru would try that bit out today.

Lit's (as it was called) positioned itself as a more affordable alternate to competitors, Strawbridge and Clothier, John Wanamaker, and Gimbels.

The store's tag line was "A Great Store in A Great City", and it was noted for its millenary department. The statement "Hats Trimmed Free of Charge" can still be viewed today on the facade of the building downtown. I've only a vague idea what that statement might mean.

Lit Brothers went out of business in 1977.

6 comments:

AliceKay said...

Wow, nice blast from the past here. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if we could go back and live like we used to. *thinks* But then I wouldn't have the internet and all of the friends I've met online. :)

Have a good day, Iggy. *hugs*

Intense Guy said...

I dont think they had a telephone at all. The 453-455-457 is a street address, the foundry was in three adjacent buildings.

The first phone my Dad remembers had a neighborhood code and house number - like the Glenn Miller song called PEnnsylvania 6-5000, which was about the phone number PE6-5000.

I think the old foundry number was RA3-2300 - My grandfather had a bunch of writing paper tablets made up with the number on it, and the tablets lasted 30 years longer then the phone number.

Nowadays, my niece doesn't even remember the time of 7 digit dialing nor the time "before there were cell phones"!

LadyStyx said...

Millenary..now that's a word I havent heard in forever. First place I heard it was when I started working in KMart. They'd placed me in what was then called the "Fashion Accessories" Department (wallets, purses, belts , scarves, hats...etc etc...we even sold wigs back then...ew)but the lady up at the courtesy desk was forever using the old term for the department. When she realized that I didnt understand the term, she called it by the "Key" number (K10 was ladies dept, K11 was mens, K14- Infants and K4 was mine). She fussed me bigtime and I pointed to the sign hanging over my department and asked her to read it (it said Fashion Accessories). Basically told her if she didnt call it by what the sign said I more than likely wouldnt hear her. It took her a couple weeks but I finally got her "trained" right. LOL

Deanna said...

Grrrrrrrr
I left a long post this morning and it isn't there now!
I always enjoy seeing comparisons in what things cost "then" and what they cost "now". It is cool that you have the catalog from your Grandpa's store!
I remember when I was a little girl that we had to listen for the ring. I guess it was a sort of morris code of the phone company. I just remember Grandma saying... don't pick it up, it's not my ring! Ahhhhh the good ol' days...

Intense Guy said...

I'm sorry Blogger ate your comment Punkn! :(

I've not given telephone party lines a thought in years and years! I don't think I ever personally was around one.

*laffs at Styie training the lady up at the courtesy desk* You tell 'em Styxie!!

ChicagoLady said...

I love seeing old newspaper ads, to see what was sold, and at what price, to compare to today.

As for the "Hats Trimmed Free of Charge" I can only assume that means they would trim your hat for free. By that I mean, replace the band around it, or add a band, or a flower, or whatever the ladies of the day wore on their hats. Back then, all ladies wore hats. Lady comes in for her hat to be trimmed, while she waits, she walks around, and might just find something to buy.