Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Fish Factory

As of June 12, 2008 at 7:00 AM
Steps: 3,408,666
Miles: 1425.43
Miles to New York: 20.57


My View of the Fish Factory from Beach Haven

The Fish Factory stands alone on 100 acres known as Crab Island which is part of a group of islands collectively known as ‘Seven Islands’, located in the Great Bay, Little Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey. Its decaying structures are now used only by the local fisherman, who employ it as a point of reference when giving directions to the spot where they caught (and lost) ‘the big one’.

These 'Seven Islands' are nothing much more than mud and salt grass, with little streams winding their way amongst them. The fish like it back in there as there is lots for them to eat - the horrid green-head flies like it back in there too for the same reason, there are lots of fishermen to eat.


The ‘Stinkhouse’

The ‘Stinkhouse’, got its nickname from the area’s residents, its boiled fish odor is remembered well by Elmer Mott, the former Postmaster of Tuckerton.

Mr. Mott recollects that when the wind was from the south, it would blow the factory’s offensive smell right into town. The factory was closed long before I ever got to sample its aroma.


Another View

As you can see, the abandon structure towers over the bay and is a great landmark for navigation purposes.

The first mention made of a factory residing on Crab Island is found in a deed dated March 31, 1902, when it was purchased by the Newport Fertilizer Company for $6,500 from Joseph and Aurra Wharton of Philadelphia - you do remember him, being the guy that owned much of the Pine Barrens.

In the deed, the buildings are specifically stated as the ‘Fish Oil Works’. Although in deeds dated previous there is mention of existing buildings back to 1846.


Boat Dock in Disrepair

The fish processed at the factory, continuously called the Fish Products Company, were menhaden, more commonly known as bunkers. These uneatable fish, because of their many bones and oilyness. Fish Oil, Fish Meal, and Fertilizer were made from these fish.


Fish Cookers

When the fish arrived at the plant "they were bailed out by hand with buckets, up to the 1950’s, when they started to use suction. Then they were put on a conveyor belt to go through a counter, and a bell would ring for each thousand fish caught."


Processed and Bagged Fish Product

"In 1953 scales replaced the counters, and it was decided that 746 lbs would equal a thousand fish. The fish were then put into a raw box, a big storage bin, when unloaded to await processing" - a long steaming (and stinky) boil...

Many more pictures and details

9 comments:

AliceKay said...

We have a few customers who buy fish meal elsewhere and we'll mix it into their custom formula chicken feeds. We don't stock it but will order it for customers upon request. It's very stinky stuff.

I can remember Terri and I taking a boat sightseeing trip out of Stone Harbor while on our honeymoon, and the boat went past a clam processing plant down near Cape May or someplace. OMG...did that ever stink to high heaven. :\

Intense Guy said...

Goodness, such honeymoon memories.

Yes, I suspect the processing place was done in Cape May - there is a big commercial clamming fleet there. I enjoy eating clams (think Clam Chowder!) but they do get smelly when you steam 'em.

Thanks for the chicken mix information - I was wondering if anyone still used fish meal and you answered my ponderings. :)

LadyStyx said...

Dontcha just love when the wind shifts and puts you downwind of some stench? I grew up in East Syracuse and not 2-3 miles from us was Bristol-Myers Labs. *UGH* the windshifts were horrid with the smell that bugger put off! Or better yet...when the wind shifted and started coming off the Gulf while I was living in N'Awlins...The lake to the north of us was just an extension of the Gulf so basically we got it coming and going...*bleah*

Deanna said...

Interesting reading. I absolutely HATE those green bug-eyed flies. They are just plain mean. My cousin raised hogs and when we would go over there the place alway smelled to high heaven. He'd just sniff the air and say, "smells like money..."

Intense Guy said...

LOL @ Punkn - I'm guessing the folks at the fish factory thought much the same way. The smell of $$

Reminds me of my Mom always saying, "So what if you get filthy at work, the money's clean"

Intense Guy said...

Styxie's comment reminded me of a plant in Bristol, PA that always smelled bad.

Rohm and Haas (Bristol PA) and its smells

Here is Styxie's link

LadyStyx said...

Thanks iggy....damn thing was being a bugger going in and when I got it there it worked fine. Now, of course, it doesnt work properly. I think Blogger's hit that time of month again ;)

ChicagoLady said...

About all I can say is ewwwwwww

ChicagoLady said...

Only smelly thing we have around here are a Post plant, and one other I can't remember, but I know when they're making chocolate!