Steps: 2,943,728
Miles: 1229.71
Along the Schuylkill River Trail are goodly number of white obelisks and for a while, I've debated with myself as to whether these "items" might be aliens or not. At long last I have decided that, regretfully, they are not.

Mile Marker 20 / 75
The Schuylkill River Trail lies (mostly) on the former railroad bed of the Pennsylvania Railroad line that ran from Philadelphia into the coal mining areas of the Poconos. The railroad ran along side of the Schuylkill River through the cities and towns of Manayunk, Conshohoken, Norristown, Valley Forge, Phoenixville, Pottstown, Reading, Hamburg, Pottsville (the home of Yuengling beer) and finally on to Delano and Delano Junction.
The mile marker above originally indicated to the train engineers and conductors, that they are 20 miles from the Pennsylvania Railroad's Broad Street Station which was downtown in Philadelphia next to City Hall and 75 miles from Delano Junction.
There are plans afoot to extend the existing trail this entire length (and beyond!) for a trail of over 140 miles from end to end. Mile 20 is between Valley Forge and Norristown in a town called Port Indian.

Mile Marker 22 / 22?
This marker is located in the Valley Forge National Historic Park and could use some "freshening up". I don't know who does this, but a lot of these markers are re-painted pretty regularly.

Mile Marker 11 / 84
Maybe someday, I will have taken a picture of all of them and collected the entire set.

A Family of "Doze" Chin Strap Ducks
I walked past this family located at about Mile 9, along side the Manayunk Canal. Daddy Goose was most upset that I was anywhere near his little ones and put up quite a show of wing flapping, neck bobbing, and hissing. Mama Goose just scooted the little ones off the trail into the grass and let Daddy do all the "talking". I gave them wide berth and took their picture on the way by while watching for Goose Gifties under foot.

Manayunk Canal and Schuylkill River from the Air
I took this picture some years ago, while flying in an old WWII Army transport plane with my Dad. The Manayunk Canal starts just to the left of the water cascading over the dam near the bottom-left. The brown ribbon that runs along side the canal is the Schuylkill River Trail where I encountered the Geese in the previous picture. I might write more on Manayunk some other time.

4 comments:
Great pics. You have a very nice area around you and lots of places to explore. Loved the arial shot.
Geese like to distribute "goose gifties" all over the place. Hope you were able to miss them. LOL
With a name like "obleisk", you might want to rethink whether they are alien or not. Sure sounds to me like they are.
I love the pictures. The big thing in this area is ponds and where there is a pond, there are geeze. AK is right. They do like to leave lots of little "gifties".
*stirs the pot up some more*
Im with punkn on this one.
As a sci-fi nut Im sure you've heard the conspiracy theories about Stonehenge, the Heads of Easter Island and the pyramids. Considering the placement, isnt it entirely possible that this is a landing strip for them? I do believe you found proof of a possible upcoming mass invasion!!
If that is the case, "they" can have Philthy-delphia...
And remember the granddaddy of all obelisks is the Washington Monument... Looks like that one was properly placed :)
Post a Comment