Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Siegmund Lubin

As of May 7, 2008 at 7:30 AM
Steps: 2,786,618
Miles: 1164.90
Miles to Maryland: 49.10


Siegmund Lubin (April 20, 1851 - September 11, 1923) was an American businessman and motion picture pioneer.

Born as Siegmund Lubszynski in Wroclaw, Poland to a German Jewish family, in 1876 he emigrated to the United States where he became a successful optical shop owner in the city of Philadelphia. His business led to a fascination with Thomas Edison's new motion picture invention and Lubin entered the film business.

He started by making his own camera/projector combination which he sold with reasonable success. However, in 1896 he began distributing films for Edison, including the famous film "The Kiss" (YouTube) that outraged many people and offended their sense of propriety. The following year, Lubin started making films himself.

America's insatiable appetite for film entertainent saw Lubin quickly build a massive filmmaking empire. By 1910 his company had constructed "Lubinville" in North Philadelphia, one of the largest and most modern film studios in the world.


In 1912, in Betzwood, adjacent to the Valley Forge National Historic Park, he opened another studio to make full length motion pictures - The Schylkill River Trail passes within a dozen feet of the studio's buildings.

Source



Today, the remaining buildings can be rented as office space.



I must point out that the Alien Space Spheres are at the end of the parking lot, and the Styxyladiums lurk in the woods to the left of the yellow bulldozer.

7 comments:

AliceKay said...

That's pretty cool info, Iggy. I never knew all of that was there. I'm finding out there's a lot to see in Pennsylvania...so enjoy, enjoy! (did you google Manny Gordon yet?)

Intense Guy said...

Thanks for the link - Manny Gordon sounds like a facinating guy from what I read. I've never heard of him before he was mentioned in chat recently.

I noticed there were 19 kisses in "The Kiss". I wonder why it wasn't called "19 Kisses"... or if one of the 19 was a "special" one... Oh dear, I'm going to loose sleep over this. :)

Karla said...

howcome you never go to the central south? like Texas? or Arkansas...dang!!! You could come visit!!!!

Intense Guy said...

Karla, funny you should mention that - just yesterday, I was talking to my brother about where to go for the next "virtual walk" after reaching the Maine / Canada border. I had thought I would turn around and head back to Florida, but the brother suggested heading to Vancouver from northern Maine, perhaps along the USA/Canadian border.

Looking at a map, things get pretty thin once you get much beyond Chicago or Minneapolis (as far as day to day sightseeing) so a south turn there would bring me south through the Memphis or Tulsa region - and onwards to New Orleans or Houston / Brownsville.

It's going to take awhile to get there if I go that way. :)

I also thought about going from Vancouver, Canada to Tijuana Mexico along the Pacific Ocean coast - which I have riden most of the way along by car. I'm going to have to start walking much, much faster.

Deanna said...

Yellow bulldozer? What yellow bulldozer? Am I going to have to retire to the confused corner? lol
I can imagine that in 1900, The Kiss was rather racy. If one of those kisses was a "special" one, things were much different in those times than they are today!!!!

Intense Guy said...

In the last picture, at the far left end of the parking lot, the yellow and black splotch is a bulldozer.

LadyStyx said...

*gigglez* @ the Styxyladiums getting a mention in this entry so many posts past their first discovery...