Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Mile 1310 - Welcome to New Joisey!

As of May 27, 2008 at 7:00 AM
Steps: 3,140,509
Miles: 1311.24


The Christian Admiral (1964) - Torn Down

In the same year that the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth, Massachusetts, a Dutch captain, Cornelius Jacobsen Mey, explored the Delaware River and named the lower New Jersey peninsula Cape Mey, after himself, in 1620. The spelling was later changed to Cape May.

Cape May began hosting vacationers from Philadelphia (including my Great-Grandfather and Great-Grandmother!**) in the mid 1700's and is recognized as the country's oldest seaside resort. Cape May became increasingly popular in the 18th century and was considered one of the finest resorts in America by the 19th century. It is noted for its large number of well-maintained Victorian houses — the second largest collection of Victorian-era homes in the nation after San Francisco.


Emlen Physick House - Now a Museum

Emlen Physick Jr., his widowed mother, Frances Ralston, and his maiden aunt Emilie Parmentier moved into their home when it was completed in 1879.

Emlen, who never married, was descended from a famous and wealthy Philadelphia family. His grandfather, Dr. Philip Syng Physick, was considered the father of American surgery and invented numerous surgical procedures and medical instruments that are still in use today.


Glorious Beach with Lifesaving Boat

The Cape May area is also a world-famous location for the observation of migrating birds, especially in fall. With over 400 bird species having been recorded in this area and hundreds of local birders, Cape May is arguably the top bird-watching area in the entire Northeastern United States.

**My Dad's Dad's Dad.

4 comments:

AliceKay said...

That's one of the things I liked about Cape May...all of the quaint Victorian style houses. Almost like you were stepping back in time.

I see the lighthouse off in the distance of that last pic. I believe the one bird sanctuary is near that area.

I have lots of pics from our visits to Cape May. Will try to dig some out sometime and post a few. I have a new negative (and/or slide) to digital picture scanner I bought for my Dad for his birthday in October, but I'm gonna try it out on a few of my own negatives before giving it to him. Gotta make sure it works, ya know. :p

Intense Guy said...

Yes, I too, believe you should thoroughly test out birthday presents, especially complicated or high tech ones - after all, you are going to be the technical support for it! :)

I was going to include a picture of the lighthouse - it is a very nice one - but I couldn't decide on a picture!! If you want to, see for what I mean :) Cape May Lighhouse

Karla said...

wow never realized there were so many places to visit on the east coast....Maybe some day I can see them

ChicagoLady said...

I was just reading about the Cape May birding event. Birders from all over the country go there every year to see migrating birds. It's supposed to be one of the best places for viewing shorebirds.