The Delmarva Peninsula is known for its chickens and even has a two day chicken festival... So it's fitting an entry be dedicated to the fowl.

"It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken"
Frank Perdue (May 9, 1920 – March 31, 2005), born in Salisbury, Maryland, was for many years the president of Perdue Farms, now one of the largest chicken-producing companies in the United States. His promotion of the Perdue brand through high-profile advertising resulted in its being the first well-known brand of chicken in the U.S. He turned over leadership of Perdue Farms to his son, Jim Perdue, in 1991.

Perdue developed a specialized chicken-feed that included marigold blossoms, which imparted a characteristic golden yellow hue to the skins of his chickens.
Source

6 comments:
Never knew where Perdue was from until today. I guess I never looked at the address on the chicken label.
*looks around for Shabby...*
lol @ Lady...
what the heck is Perdue? I get Pilgrams Pride...don't have a lot of choices here
Pilgrim's Pride is the US' largest brand. We get a lot of Tyson chicken around here - but they seem to always be getting bad press for bad chickens.
There were roughly 50.5 billion pounds of chicken produced in the U.S. last year with a wholesale value of more than $38 billion!
Thanks for mentioning Salisbury, MD, Iggy. Although I've never thought of chicken in the same breath though.
Glad to oblige ChicagoLady. I dug around a little and found:
BAY STEEL INCORPORATED
410-219-5966
909 Boundary St
Salisbury, MD 21801
DRT STEEL WORKS
410-742-2691
Twilleys Bridge Rd
Salisbury, MD 21801
LEWIS STEEL PRODUCTS COMPANY
410-546-3131
N Salis Blvd
Salisbury, MD 21801
Kind of surprised me to see so many listings actually - I've driven through the town at least a dozen times and never saw much that registered in my mind.
Post a Comment