Thursday, May 8, 2008

Camouflaged Styxyladiums

As of May 8, 2008 at 7:30 AM
Steps: 2,804,000
Miles: 1172.43

On May 5, 2008, I decided to celebrate Cinco De Mayo by revisiting the Styxyladiums to see if they had made it all the way up the hill yet - You may remember them from this picture that was discussed on February 18, 2008 where it was determined by the expert on them, that they were hunting crystal balls and other bling for their castle walls.


Trapped Out in the Open!


Well Hidden and Camouflaged!

Even though I knew almost exactly where they were, I walked past them twice before I found them again. Clever little aliens... they are well-versed in the use of field camouflage. Judging by these two pictures taken nearly 6 months apart, they haven't done a whole lot of hunting or even moving around for that matter. Or do they hunt at night and craftily return to the same place by daylight? Or are Styxyladiums really members of the vampire family? -- Maybe our expert will know.

3 comments:

ChicagoLady said...

Crafty buggers! Maybe they found all sorts of crystals and bling for their castle, but must return to the same spots each day or be vaporized?

LadyStyx said...

Styxyladiums are sedentary creatures and follow the "once at rest, always at rest" law rather zealously. They're hunting technique is much like the angler fish in that it has a lure to draw its prey closer and then grabs it. This way it doesnt need to move far from its spot. Since it doesnt move much, it doesnt require much in the line of energy. It especially appreciates the extra boost from the occasional cuppa tea so I suspect that really isnt camoflage but more like a crop for brewing. The creature doesnt smoke so I know it's not for that use. Styxyladiums are not morning type critters and prefer the evening and night hours when it's cooler and more comfortable although they do enjoy basking in the afternoon sunlight now and again...they just have to be careful of their sensitive skin so dont stay out in it for very long.

Intense Guy said...

I feel like a little grasshopper when it comes to Lady Styx's knowledge of this esoteric species.

Tea and ssensitive skin, who'd of thunk it?

Next time I go by I'll toss a pack of Earl Grey and a tube of Coppertone into their area and see if I can flush 'em out.

Be nice if some of these were vaporized. I walked a new trail the other day and they stand out at the edge of the path are a hideous green color.