Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I Missed the Memo

Yesterday I walked through my neighborhood to go over to the pond where I had spotted some purple water lilies in full bloom earlier in the week while driving to work. The pond is owned by a neighbor who runs a business called "Rainmaker - Fountains". Unfortunately, the water lilies were all closed up and in bed for the night. I'll try again soon in the morning hours.

...but on my walk to visit the pond, I got to thinking... (ut-oh!)

flowers around a mailbox
Did I miss a memo or something?

close up of flowers around a mailbox
Was I supposed to plant flowers around my mailbox?

flowers around a mailbox
Did the township pass some sort of ordinance requiring blossoms around junk mail receptacles?

flowers around a mailbox
I started to think, "Well, they must have..."

flowers around a mailbox
...neighbor after neighbor...

flowers around a mailbox
"...does the mailman has allergies? is this a plot to keep him from delivering bills? If so, does it work?"

flowers around a mailbox
"I like this one, its not so overwhelming..."

a little brown dog near a mailbox covered with green ivy
"...or perhaps the brown dog and green ivy look would be more me?"

my mailbox without any flowers
"My poor unadorned mailbox. I like the painted wrought iron and the red covered bridge...but inside it, will I just find bills and perhaps a citation for being in violation of the 'You Must Plant Flowers Act of 2009'?

I won't be alone if I do - one other neighbor must of missed the memo too."


"But I hope this neighbor never gets elected as a township supervisor though. Imagine them on the supervisory board with Mr. and/or Mrs. Cow?"

20 comments:

betty said...

LOL; very cute entry; and very colorful! here where we live we have community mailboxes, one big one that we all have individual keys to our own little cubicle. And it is smack in the middle of the concrete sidewalk; nothing would grow there even if attempted to be planted

must be neat to get the mail delivered right almost to your door rather than walk half a block or more to retrieve it :)

enjoy the day

betty

Deanna said...

LOL your poor naked mailbox! I sure do like the look of it, though - nifty mailbox to say the least. When I come visit (yea right) I'll bring along some plantings for you :)

I hate it when I miss those all important memos. Like the one that everyone is supposed to wear red to a get together.

Mr. and Mrs. patriotic and Mr. and Mrs. cow would get along fabulously.

PictureGirl said...

Ha! Funny. I live out in the country and all you see around my box and the neighbors down the road is dusty tall grass that gets mowed maybe once a month if the mailman is lucky.

AliceKay said...

You have a very nice looking mailbox. I like it. One question...how does your mail carrier deliver you boxes that won't fit into the mailbox? Our mailman usually puts larger packages into plastic Kmart or grocery store bags and hang them on the hook. (i was just wondering about the size of a certain box....lol)

Our mailbox isn't too old, but the paint is already chipping. Those Charlies who sit up in the walnut tree above the boxes like to throw walnuts from time to time. I caught one once...the walnut landed on top of hook (that thing that you pull to open and shut) and it just stuck there. And of course, I didn't have my camera with me that day.

Loved the pics. Really nice flowers and arrangements in your neighborhood.

LadyStyx said...

Yeah, but hun...look how PRETTY your post is! It needs no adorning, unlike those naked plain ol posts the neighbors have. Maybe THEY got the memos to step it up and beautify their posts and keep up with that awesome neighbor iggy.

Yankee Girl said...

Why, why, why do people do this? I don't understand. It's a mailbox. I didn't know they liked to play dress-up. It's hard enough for me to keep my lawn and flowerboxes looking nice, I couldn't imagine adding more for me to do!

Lucky me, my mailbox is on my house!

Aleta said...

Ohhh, I love the flowers. My mail box is attached to the house, so no problems there. Lol. But, I have seen some ummm interesting mailboxes. I should take pictures and share. I'd say - yes, plant some flowers. Make it an experiment to see if you get less bills and let us know how that goes. Lol.

The Wife O Riley said...

Your mailbox is too cute and doesn't need all of those flowers. Remember, less is more.

jewelrybyrebecca said...

I like what Lady Styx said. But I have to admit, I'm guilty. Not only do I have flowers around it but I also put a flower pot at the bottom of the post so it looks like the mailbox is growing up out of the pot.

sugarlens said...

I think flowers and mowed lawns do wonders to the value of the neighborhood. Yours is really cute and pretty!

Melissa said...

It must be a town law, you might get slapped with a fine.

But being different is better.
Rules were meant to be broken...haha! Said from the girl who breaks none.

=)

yellowdoggranny said...

i'd like to see them pass that law in texas...each mail box would be surrounded by cacti.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad Iggy. We don't even have mail boxes over here. We have flaps in the door for letters, and anything that doesn't fit through the postman has to knock on the door to give us (unfortunately, they like to try and fit the items through first if they think there's the slightest chance they "might" fit). Wish we had a mailbox. I used to like going out to the mailbox to look for mail when we were in Canada. Silly I know, but you never know, there might have been something nice in there. It was like a treasure hunt! What was I saying? Oh yes, don't worry, I'm sure you wont be in too much trouble for not planting flowers around the mailbox. And if you are, perhaps you can explain that you didn't get the memo, and that some of the local ochas must have stollen it as a joke? They might just let you off with a caution if you tell them that and promise to plant some flowers around your mailbox.

Heidi said...

This is hilarious! It looks like you did miss the memo. I like the understated look myself.

Martha said...

What a great entry! I missed the memo too and often wonder why people do this - I think it just draws more attention to all the ugly mailboxes! I like yours :-)

jmt said...

Don't you like the flowers around the box? We don't have any, but your neighbors have done a fine job making it look pretty. :) Maybe pretty isn't the look you're going for, though? More manly? Maybe you could put up stakes or something.

MarmiteToasty said...

Oh how pretty these all are, and yours is pretty even without the fuss of all those flowers....

I was fasinated by the postboxes whilst in the States LOL.... I still find it strange that your postie dont wobble up your roads on his red bike and shove ya letters through the letterbox in ya front door :)

x

Anonymous said...

The real flowers look nice, but you have awesome metal flowers holding up your mailbox. If you do get a memo, you should contest it and tell them this is America. You have the freedom to be lazy!

Rita said...

I wonder if it is an American thing to gussy up private mailboxes? You sure see a lot of strange mailboxes (especially out in the country) in the upper Midwest here. In your neighborhood flowers must have been ordained--hehe! They are vey pretty, tho, I must say. :)

ChicagoLady said...

The flowers around the mailboxes are pretty, but most are nearly taking over! Yours is definitely best, simple with a beauty all it's own.