The other day I decided to head over to a remote corner of Valley Forge National Historical Park called Pawling’s Farm on Walnut Hill. This part of the park is not visited very much. I decided to look for some deer to photograph, usually no challenge at all, since they are a dime a dozen in the area. Camera in hand, I strolled down the old wagon road to the site of General Sullivan’s Bridge and Fatland Ford.
It wasn’t long before I found some sign of deer in the vicinity. Deer track! Unfortunately, they were pointing each and every way. Daniel Boone might of figured out the best way to go at the drop of his coon-skin hat, but I just meandered on through the woods.
After walking a ways in the quiet stillness of early evening, I encountered another sign that deer had been there not long before me. I think the term for what I saw is “scat” – presumably short for something an animal has “scattered.” Daniel Boone would have told me, “Deer scats in pellet form. This is the summer form. The scats hold their shape well due to the moisture content. If the diet included more moist or succulent plants, the scats would be looser, or would stick together more.”
Probably way too much information huh? I continued my slow meandering through the woods until I encountered this…
I looked at it closely and with my considerable powers of observation and mental deduction, determined that this umm, “pile” is not from a deer!
Having reached the river without seeing any deer, I figured that my efforts to photograph them would be futile. But the evening air was most pleasant with a cool gentle breeze blowing the bright white clouds across the brilliant blue sky. The acrobatic squirrels and sleepy turtles abounded, so I simply enjoyed the sights that were there to be seen. I inhaled the scene and turned to retrace my steps back to the car (taking care not to step in…anything). A short way from the river, I looked into the tall green grass and suddenly a head popped up.
Ah, so there you are! And aren’t you a pretty deer too! I took a photograph and the "fake” shutter noise of my digital camera woke up a couple other slumbering beauties.
Soon, I saw heads popping up out of the tall green grass in every direction. With a smile on my face I returned to the bend in the trail where the river softly laps against the rocks and sat and rested my feet awhile. It was only then that I discovered I had walked nearly eight miles in my search for a deer picture.
Rested, relaxed, restored – I continued up the trail into the golden rays of the setting sun.

23 comments:
Valley Forge is such a beautiful place...I'm glad you got your deer pics.
Wow! Those pictures remind me of Minnesota (where I live). And that thar look like bear crap to me!
They look so cute popping their heads up like that!
Very, very nice. Thank you so much.
Dears always make me think of Bambi, the hunter, his mom and thumper!
Valley Forge is a magical looking place.Now, I'd really like to see it with my own eyes.
Happy Tuesday!
What a beautiful walk! And all the bambi's look so sweet.
I will have to admit I kept looking at your cell phone and thinking, I hope he's careful about where he laid it. Is he going put that to his ear/mouth after being that close to "scatter"? lol Daniel Boone, eat your heart out.
Oh, and those pictures of the sun shimmering off the water... Priceless! Love it.
Nice strolls in beautiful places are so relaxing and serene.
I'm glad you found what you were looking for!
Every time you post pictures I always wished I lived in a place that was so pretty.
If it ain't a stone, don't step on it!
That picture of the two deer heads is terrific! I am glad you finally spotted some at the end of your trip!
WALKED 8 MILES????????????? Are you insane? Insane Guy??? I can't see the photos here at work for some reason (usually I can), so I can't comment on anything other than your words. :) I'll look at the pictures at home.
You have some really nice photos from this walk. I'm glad you were able to commune with nature and with the deer. They knew you were no threat to them. Just like the doe and fawn I was able to watch the other night. :)
I hope you're having a good day today. *hugs*
Well "Hello" to you too! ;)
Those are some great pics! Especially the last ones in the sunlight. Love it.
oh i love the pictures..and wouldnt you love to know what they were thinking about you?...how cool...
Those last couple of pictures are very pretty! The poo pictures are quite interesting. ;)Looks like you had a fun walk.
OMG! Thanks so much for taking us all along with you on your deer hunt--scat and all--ROFL!! Yes--these woods and the deer--looks a lot like Minnesota to me, too. (I'm a Minnesota girl, born and raised. Don't let the fact that I've been living in North Dakota the past four years fool ya!) That was really fun! :):)
That's a lot of poop!
This area looks lovely though.
Thanks for taking me on your 8 mile walk. LOL @ the poop. George always tells me he is going to bring me some moose poop to prove there are moose out in the woods behind our house. So far he hasn't, and I hope he doesn't. A picture would be perfectly fine! LOL
what a beautiful area to visit! such wide open space with all that green! what a nice place to spend some time, get some exercise, reconnect with nature, share a nature lesson and see deer and other wildlife; an awesome way to spend a summer evening!
betty
At least the deer were easier to get than the squirrels. ;)
Sounds like a great way to spend an evening. :)
You live in such a beautiful place... truely beautiful...
LMFAO@the photos of poos LOL
x
Only you could include pictures of poo in such a lovely post, lol.
Your description of the area is so magical, I feel like I'm there with you. I'm so jealous that I don't have any place that nice to go to here.
Post a Comment