Thursday, July 16, 2009

From Evansburg to Teotihuacan (and back)

On Tuesday evening, I got finished at work early so I decided to head over to the Evansburg State Park and walk somewhere different.  Just for a change of scenery.

0714091719

I parked at the trail head and walked west on the south side of the Skippack Creek.  The trail went though a field overgrown with cattails and whatever this purple spiky flower is…  I could barely see the trail – and this should have been a warning to me.

 

0714091720

The dirt path felt really good underfoot, giving my sore feet some relief from the hard gravel, asphalt and concrete I have been walking on.  I looked at my walking chart and saw I’ve covered 83 miles so far this month.  Ah, dirt!

 

0714091729

 

The pleasant meandering path winds its way down the Skippack Creek, sometimes close by and sometimes not so close as the creek cuts its way through the soft red rock of southeastern Pennsylvania.

 

IMGP1198

Up and down the bank of the creek I went.  I had forgotten how much of a workout this looping trail was.  The footing gets rocky in places and the slope pitches steeply up (more often then it did down it seems.)

 

IMGP1214

 

Keeping my eye peeled for the white diamond blaze markings found on trail-side trees every hundred yards or so.

Surely there could be nothing to make the casual stroller think, “Lions and Tigers and Bears! Oh my!” and soon I would turn around and head back to the car, having walked a comfortable three or four miles.

 

IMGP1215

 

And then I, umm, I ran into some difficulty and misplaced the trail I was following.  Apparently it slips around this tree and heads off to the left.

 

 

IMGP1196

 

Unaware of my predicament, I strolled onwards.  Through Tennessee, Arkansas and Texas (it seemed.)

 

 

IMGP1205

I eventually found my way back to the creek – or was it the Rio Grande?  I wasn’t sure so I pulled out the trail map and looked at it.  And looked at it.  And looked at it some more.

 

IMGP1207

 

 

 

Ah, apparently I made the wrong turn in Albuquerque.  But which way to go?

 

 

 

IMGP1202

 

When my legs felt as if I had walked to the pyramidal structure of Teotihuacan in central Mexico, with its strange bird face hieroglyph, I discovered I went the wrong way, again.

 

IMGP1213

 

Even the blaze that marked whatever trail I was on seemed to be a questioning itself.  I began to become a little… concerned.

 

 

 

 IMGP1212

 

I had my map, my pedometer, car keys and cell phone as well as my camera.  MacGyver probably could have made a all-terrain vehicle out this – or perhaps even a lightweight airplane.

 

 

 

SkippackCreek

IMGP1217

 

But not I.  I looked for shelter and food – there was plenty of water to be found in the creek – even if the fish that swim in it poop in it. And I like mushrooms.

 

  IMGP1216

My legs wobbled and buckled.  Darkness started to creep over the wilderness.  When suddenly I heard a car somewhere off to my right – somewhere just beyond a dense stand of trees.

 

 

 GettingDark

Finally after a few miles more than the four miles I had planned on walking – I stumbled out of the darkening woods and into the parking lot where my car awaited me.

 

 

Next time I’m going to be smart.  I’m going to take a sharpie and write on the tag of my tee-shirt, “If found, please return to Norristown, PA” – that ought to do it, you think?

23 comments:

Queenie Jeannie said...

So glad you didn't get hopelessly lost!!!! How much are your legs complaining this morning??


Fabulous pictures. I'm re-reading Twilight (New Moon specificly) and all this green reminds me of the book!

Anonymous said...

Lol!


I would have totally 'lost it' if I was lost in the woods.

HorribleLicensePlates said...

These pictures are beautiful!

Yankee Girl said...

I was lost in the woods once with a sprained ankle and a sun that was rapidly setting. All I could think about was how I was going to be the next victim in the Blair Witch Project.

Glad you found your car!

And once again, breathtaking pictures!

AliceKay said...

Loved the pictures. I'm glad you found your car before it got dark and you didn't get hurt while out there wandering around. (i would have been on the lookout for skunks if it had been me)

Have a good day today. *hugs*

Deanna said...

If it makes you feel any better, I got lost in my own woods once! I had taken a "cool off before you explode walk" and totally got disoriented. I never told the kids so if Julie reads this she will know now... lol I strolled back out when I found my way and pretended that was where I had meant to come out.

It would be so easy to get lost on a not so traveled path. I would have pulled that cell phone out early on and called for reinforcements, Mr. Mcguiver sir.

Hugs - glad you made your way back!

Karla said...

It's grand you found your way home..Because I for one would miss you wayyyyyyyy too much if I didn't get my Iggyblog fix everyday.

Beautiful place to get lost though. Looks like someplace I would love to camp for a week or two.

Anonymous said...

The label will only work if you can be sure not to walk off anything and end up in the water. No guarantee it'll work if you get soaked through, see.

sugarlens said...

I hate getting lost and not knowing how much further left to go. In Glendalough, when we did that hike, we weren't lost (trail was well-marked), but I was so mad because we had no idea how much further and we didn't have a map.

Work for me has been so busy lately that whenever I get home, I just want to chill.

Great photos!

Intense Guy said...

Jeannie - My backside was pretty well "glued" to the nice padded office chair the day after that walk. It never fails to amaze me how I can find a muscle or two that I didn't even know existed.

Tori - I've had quite enough walking off of things and falling into water this year, thank you very much. :)

Yankee Girl - One of the things that is always in the back of my mind especially the more challenging walks - since I walk alone most of the time - is "what's plan B" in case I do have an accident. I always tell someone in the area just when and where I am setting out - where I intend to go - and when to expect a call saying I'm back to the car - just in case. The cell phone will usually work (short of me dropping into water or conking my head and knocking myself out) - but in a lot of the PA mountains, its pretty much "no signal" dead weight.

Alice Kay - to the best of my memory, I've never seen a live skunk. Only roadkill ones.

Mrs. Horrible License Plates - Welcome.

Thank you all for your comments. :)

AliceKay said...

The next skunk Terri traps will be sent to you...special delivery. (just be careful when you pull open the door)

JennyMac said...

Love the pics..they are perfect. Sorry for the Blair Witch style goose chase but glad you found your way out. The sharpie comment made me laugh out loud.

Melissa said...

I'm at a starbucks right now, and I just laughed at the "Lions, Tigers and Bear. Oh My!" And everyone turned to look at the weird girl with the huge coffee and red laptop. They are starring at me again becasue I just chuckled at the sharpie idea.

Men, the never ask for directions...LOL!

LadyStyx said...

*gigglin* ~nice~ Bugs Bunny reference there! You'd never find me traipsing around in the woods alone because I tend to get lost, very lost. Shoot, I can even get lost going to the bathroom in an unfamiliar building.

junyah said...

Those Purple spikey flowers you started this blog with are called lupins ( spell check) but they grow wild up around here as well,i got fishing at a place in Maine called Rangely lake and that area is coverd with then in the summer, and the ever popular Moose.. ( you write dammed good IggY i love it ), lol

junyah said...

Oh by the way IggY, get ya self one of them GPS thingies, they work good ,easy to read and they do what they are made to do help you get home in the same day.. lol.. I have a Garmin,,freind of mine had the map that saved me a 100 bucks. you can get them all loaded with the map, just cost ya more..(the map is a c/d you load though your computer).

yellowdoggranny said...

oh but look at the great pictures you got...and who knew eagles country is so beautiful..wow...

betty said...

beautiful place to get lost in though; next time perhaps bread crumbs??

betty

AiringMyLaundry said...

These pictures are great. But when I see forests I think about horror movies. Or the TV show Lost. The good guys are forever walking around trees and shrubbery and then bad guys leap out and try to shoot them.

PictureGirl said...

How funny! You took some great pics.
Like your blog.

MarmiteToasty said...

Oh my what GORGEOUS photos, what a beautiful place, I wanna go there lol.....

So glad you didnt get lost in the woods.... great idea with the pen LOL

x

Lainie said...

We need to take up a collection and get Iggy one of those trail GPS thingies like I got George for his birthday.
Great pics!

ChicagoLady said...

I'm so glad you made it out safely! Love the Bugs Bunny reference to Albuqurque. Gee, now I'm going to worry about you walking alone in the woods! I never realized how alone you might be on some of your walks.