Monday, July 13, 2009

For the Ketchup Girl

This past Saturday morning, I found myself in a dysfunctional state. I had slept badly with some of the worse of the demons of the dark past lurking in my head and was on the verge of not going to my Grandfather's birthday party.

I had put a lot of effort, over six months, into tracking down some people to invite to the party and making complicated arrangements for other people to be there - but on the morning of the party - I just couldn't face the world and the emotional strain I knew the party would be.

Someone who describes herself using the words "I am a ketchup girl" spoke to me via instant messenger for a few calming moments and really helped me get myself collected.

I know I would have never heard the end of it if I hadn't gone and I've already said "Thank you" to the "ketchup girl" - but sometimes "Thank you" seems - so feeble.

We've spoken of covered bridges in Pennsylvania - so I wanted to take some pictures of the one near me - specifically the Valley Forge Covered Bridge - for her to reiterate my thanks.

This bridge is also known as the Knox Bridge, as it's located within Valley Forge National Historical Park, on Yellow Springs Road adjacent to the farmhouse that General Knox used for his headquarters.

General Knox was a Boston bookseller, a supporter of the Sons of Liberty, and was present at the Boston Massacre. He is known for having the cannons from the captured Fort Ticonderoga dragged over 300 miles in the cruel cold grip of winter to Boston, where they were used to force the British to leave the city.

Knoxville, Tennessee, is named in his honor. There are counties named for Knox in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Tennessee, and Texas.

plain white painted shingle covered wooden bridge
"His" covered bridge was built in 1865, spans the Valley Creek and is only one lane wide.

another angle
I used to drive over this bridge twice day going to work and then coming home.


The original timbers were all sawn by hand.


The bridge is nearly overwhelmed by today's SUVs and is in need of some paint.


Thank you ketchup girl.

18 comments:

Dorkys Ramos said...

Sometimes when we're lucky, we come across people who just by lending an ear or offering a few words from the heart can lift our spirits just enough to keep walking through the tunnel, to keep fighting through another day.

It's so touching to know you have that affect on someone without even knowing it. Who knows how many times we've each been "the ketchup girl" unknowingly! Makes me want to do more for others whether I hear a thank you or not.

I'm positive you've helped her through the fog in your own way, too.

And seriously, ketchup is waaay better than mustard ;)

The Wife O Riley said...

I'm sorry that the party gave you stress. But I'm happy you were able to talk to someone. Those pictures are a wonderful way of saying thank you.

Melissa said...

Parties can bring hidden emotions with them. I'm glad someone was ther to help you relax, we all need people like that in our lives.

Maybe it just me and my weird mind, but that bridge look like the one in Sleppy Hollow. Where the headless horseman, Ichabob and Brom face eachother.

betty said...

so glad you had a friend help you and spend time "talking" with you so that you could go and enjoy your grandfather's party; I can understand how sometimes social gatherings like this could cause stress and anxiety

I loved the covered bridge pictures and story; we don't see much of that here in So. Calif; it seems so peaceful there

betty

sugarlens said...

After all the planning you put into it, I am glad you went to the party! I am happy this "ketchup girl" helped you feel better!

Sometimes parties are too much for me, I prefer to stay home with the TV.

Deanna said...

Thank you Ketchup Girl!

This was a nice tribute post, Iggy. I'm very glad you went to grandpa's party!

Keep on keeping on...

AliceKay said...

I love covered bridges. :) These are really great shots. The bridges all around this area seem to be painted the barn red color. One of these days I'll drive to Luthers Mills to take a picture of the covered bridge that's located there. I haven't been there in years and years, but they have recently restored it so it's better than it had been for awhile. It's not far off of Route 6, but I very rarely go out that way because I cut up over the mountains when going to Troy.

I'm glad you made it to the party, and I'm glad you had a nice time. You'll always remember that historic event in your grandfather's life, and I'm sure he appreciated all your efforts and arrangements you made to get those people to the celebration. *hugs*

Yankee Girl said...

I find it incredibly interesting that people I don't know have better ways of making me feel better. I'm glad you found someone to help you out when you needed it.

Sometimes talking to someone outside of the normal circle is more theraputic than talking to a close friend.

Hope you are feeling better.

yellowdoggranny said...

sigh*...that is just so beautiful..I wish Texas had covered bridges..we do have a bridge in waco,texas (17 miles from west,texas) that was made by the same guy who made the brooklyn bridge..it's really lovely..but no cover..
I have a great idea..why dont you come to west,texas on labor day weekend for westfest...
go to westfest.com and czech it out..

Karla said...

I hate driving through that bridge..that dang curve on the other side scared me!

*hugssssssss* I hope you have a great week and that ketchup girl stays around for you when you need her.

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it to the party.

I've only seen covered bridges in movies and pictures. They look so cool.

LadyStyx said...

Sometimes, it's those that we don't get to see in person that know us best for they know us best by our hearts.

jmt said...

I used to run a race that went through a bridge like this one. :) Memories.

Just remember to keep life in perspective. The complications we give it are really our own doing, and can be alleviated by realizing the EXTENT that they don't really affect our day to day. That's not to downplay emotion or actions past, but to simply remind oneself that the gifts we're given can also be our burden.

Communication, emotional connect, intelligence unrivaled.....keep them all in perspective for life must be lived, and not dwelled upon. If you don't look through the slats of the bridge, you'll never see the scenery. :)

Rita said...

Families, expectations, generations...I'm glad you were buoyed up by Ketchup girl and made such a truly special occasion. (I had a grandmother who made it to 104, but she didn't know us by that time.)

It seems out East you have much more sense of history than we do in the Midwest. Us prairie people were kind of loners, dontcha know. I am fascinated by the covered bridges and your background stories. :)

Lainie said...

Oh Iggy...so glad you were able to go to your grandfathers party. You would have regretted not going, I think. Sometimes you find peace and comfort in the strangest places.
Hugs to you and thanks to ketchup girl. :-)

PictureGirl said...

What great pictures. I love the covered bridge.

MarmiteToasty said...

(((((((((Iggy)))))))))) sorry you felt so low on that day, but so happy that you have the strength to do and that ketchup girl was around for you to talk to....

I LOVE the photos of your grandad and your family..... you have something so very special there, at times Im envious lol but in a nice way....

X

ChicagoLady said...

That's a beautiful covered bridge, even if it is in need of a coat of paint. I'm sure you can tell me, you know everything! How do they get the boards to bend?

I'm glad "Ketchup Girl", whoever she is, was able to comfort you and enable to you to go to your granddad's party. You would have regretted not being there.