And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by...
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.
I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.
I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
"Sea-Fever"
By John Masefield (1878-1967)
The flags flying at Rolph's Wharf on the Chester River (Chesapeake Bay) near Chestertown, Maryland are an interesting group. From left to right, under the Star Spangled Banner, "Don't Tread on Me", Republic of China (pre-WWII), Bulgaria, Turkey, and the Jolly Roger (which is actually on the Thomas J). The owner of Rolph's Wharf is an emigree from Turkey, having left there to find religious freedom in the USA. The other flags (excepting the Jolly Roger) are for his wife (Bulgaria) and his employees (China and the USA).
You may remember the story of the injured Peacock chick (here) that my boat-door neighbor has as a pet. This is the woman that has only one leg but goes boating and swimming and everything despite the challenges. Mama Peacock had eight little babies back in June and one of them had a hurt leg. The hurt leg meant that he wasn't able to keep up with his siblings and Mama Peacock was getting more and more upset as she couldn't keep her little flock together. So the hurt little chick got to go to the wharf and enjoy rocking around in their boat. He's been growing pretty fast and he has a name now.
You'd think, Chester... Chester River, Chestertown... but noooooooooooo....
It's short for Chester Goode. Now some of you... ummm... more mature readers may remember the long (nearly forever) running TV show named "Gunsmoke" but the rest of you will be like me and scratching their heads, "Huh?"
James Arness played the lead role of Marshal Matt Dillon; Dennis Weaver played his limping sidekick, Chester Goode; and Amanda Blake starred as Miss Kitty Russell, owner of the Long Branch Saloon. So the trio in the boat next door are Captain Dillon, Miss Kitty and the limping Peacock, Chester Goode.

Doesn't that take the cake? Well, I thought so - until I saw the three of them take a boat out and go crabbing where they soon began hauling in some blueclaw crabs for dinner. They caught enough that they shared some with me! Thanks Chester! Enjoy playing with your Daddy's tail feather!

21 comments:
Chester's getting pretty big? I'd be scared he'd fall into the water though. Hope those crabs were yummy!
Chester is so cute! I am so glad he's doing well. It looks like it was a fun day on the water.
And your title is priceless.
Chester looks adorable! I bet he's a fun to have around. We have a 1-legged roadrunner here in our neighborhood who gets around amazingly well
all gorgeous pictures; looks like you had a great adventure!
enjoy the day :)
betty
I remember Chester from when I was a kid. My family never missed Gunsmoke and Chester was my favorite character. If he wasn't on, I didn't watch.
That little peacock is so adorable. I wish he lived here with me.
You are so lucky to be able to get photos like this. And Crabs!
hell, i still watch gunsmoke reruns on tvland..i remember on one show..matt hugged miss kitty and oh my goddess, you would have thought he had tossed her on the bar at the long branch and had his way with her..after that..they never touched...
they were going to make a movie of gunsmoke about 5 years ago and they called jim arness to get his 'ok' and to do a cameo...you know what he said' fuckyou.'...i laughed my ass off..they never made the movie either..haha
Love the pics of the boats. The store with all of the flags flying overhead is really nice, too.
Chester looks like a happy little peacock. (Gunsmoke was one of my favorite shows from way back when)
I hope you had a good day today. *hugs*
Cute name. I think I woulda picked a more sea-worthy name for him, Ahab.
what a cutie!!! :)
Of course I remember Gunsmoke (showing my age!) I love the name and think it's all too cool - who ever heard of a boating peacock? I just love it! :-)
Chester needs a spiked collar. Upon donning that, he would be the badass of the wharf.
Chester is cute! I'm glad my kids are asleep otherwise if they saw him they'd want one..
Born and raised Minnesotan the ocean is rather an alien concept--hehe! I have visited Florida a few times so I have seen it. :)
Loved Chester! He was my very favorite character on Gunsmoke, too, but I would never have rememebered his last name. Cudos! I have taken in my fair share of injured or abandoned animals in my day. Looks like Chester is doing very well in their care. :)
Peacocks going crab fishing? LOL! This world just gets weirder by the second!
He is wellabit cute, but I think they should of named him 'anchor' LOL
x
ps.... you Numpty for getting StyXs birthday wrong lol
x
Love the pics and the poem. Chester? What a nautical name you chose. LOL.
I remember gunsmoke..never watched it cause it was on cbs..and we couldn't get cbs..that was in the days before cable!!!! So unless you had a more powerful antenna than ours you just couldn't get a station that was 150 to 200 miles away...
Chester..hmm wasn't his character on "marshall dillon" and festus was on gunsmoke? Shoot I'm old and crs!
How sweet! Chester is one lucky peacock.
Awwwwww! Chester!
Unique names for pets are great...especially if they come with a story like that. I recall the show Gunsmoke only in name. Whenever my dad turned it on, I disappeared to read.
Chester is a cutie! And at least the name makes sense, instead of "Oh, we just liked the name so we picked it". This one actually fits him, lol.
No pictures of the crabs?????
Post a Comment