
This weekend, I re-read a children's book titled, "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" when I noticed the author's name was Ian Fleming.
As you probably know, Ian Fleming (May 28, 1908 – August 12, 1964) was an English author and journalist. Fleming is best remembered for creating the character of James Bond and chronicling Bond's adventures his novels.
Initially Fleming's Bond novels were not bestsellers in America, but when President John F. Kennedy included From Russia With Love on a list of his favorite books, sales quickly took off. Fleming wrote 14 Bond books in all: Casino Royale, Live and Let Die, Moonraker, Diamonds Are Forever, From Russia with Love, Dr. No, Goldfinger, For Your Eyes Only, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, You Only Live Twice, The Man with the Golden Gun, Octopussy and The Living Daylights.
In 1961, he sold the film rights to his already published as well as future James Bond novels and short stories to Harry Saltzman, who, with Albert R. "Cubby" Broccoli, co-produced the film version of Dr. No. Neither Saltzman nor Broccoli expected Dr. No to be much of a success, but it was an instant sensation and sparked a spy craze through the rest of the 1960s. The successful Dr. No was followed by From Russia with Love, the second and last James Bond movie that Ian Fleming personally saw.

In an odd twist of historical fate, James Bond's name came from famed ornithologist James Bond, the son of the Bond family who allowed Ian Fleming the use of their estate in Jamaica to write his novels. The Bonds were wealthy manufacturers whose estate outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania eventually became the grounds of the Gwynedd Mercy College.
My Mother is a Gwynedd Mercy College graduate. Go Griffins!
What is your favorite "Bond" movie and who is your favorite James Bond?
For more on Ian Fleming

18 comments:
Oh dear, now I totally have the chitty bang bang song in my head! ;)
The first James Bond movie I ever saw was Goldfinger with my favorite Bond of all Sean Connery. To this day I think that man is super sexy!
I've probably seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang a million times with my kids!
i know that sean connery is a chauvinist pig and believes women should be slapped around every now and then..but he's still my favorite bond..i dont remember the name of the movie, but it's the one where he and the 'chick' are making love in outer space and they say something about having problem with 'reentry'...although..the new james bond..is one hot dude..
Roger Moore has to be my favorite Bond ever, although Daniel is quickly gaining the lead. Spike TV's Thanksgiving James Bond marathon,the mountian cabin and some frozen yogurt(hate eating pumkin pie, love making it though)and you have the best thanksgiving under the sun.
Ina flemming thanks for giving us this infectious womanizing MI6 agent!
Can you tell I love James Bond? After I turn 21 I'm going to order a martini simply for the chance to say those immortal words.
"Shaken not Stirred"
Im not really into the whole James Bond thing, Ive watched the films but I could take them or leave them.... I do love Sean though lol....
Now Chitty chitty bang bang is another thing, I LOVE it lmfao.... Im surprised you doodles could understand the accents ;)
now Im gonna be singing that chitty tune all bloody day, so fanks for that :)
x
I'm not much into James Bond movies but I liked the ones I've seen. Sean Connery, Roger Moore...Pierce Brosnan. I think I liked the Pierce Brosnan ones the best, probably because I've seen more of them.
That's pretty cool about the "twist of fate" whereby your mother went to college at what was once the estate owned by the Bond family.
Hope you have a good day today.
He also wrote CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG? Who knew?
I loved, THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, of course.
I'm not really a fan of James Bond personally. Wayne (one of my brothers) is though, but I'm not sure if he has a favourite Bond movie.
I do lovve that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang story though. My Mam has the movie of that one.
I'm not much into movies but I vividly remember Live and Let Die - and loved the song at the time too.
I'm a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang fan! Now I'm going to be singing it all day, LOL! :-)
Love Chitty Chitty Bang Bang but as far as James Bond goes.....I never liked that character as he's too much of a womanizer.
I'm a James Bond movie nut. I have several fav's. Sean Connery IS James Bond. I can tolerate Pierce Brosnan but the movie's with Roger Moore are probably my least fav.'s. The others? Nah
I like the last two with Daniel Craig and the twist about taking Bond back to his new 00 status.
I have watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at least a dozen times through the years with my kids and never knew Ian Fleming wrote it. I guess you really can learn somthing new every day, huh?
interesting trivia about Ian Fleming writing the Bond series and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! I hadn't known that until I read your entry! I like how it all ties in, too, to bits of your history with your mom attending that college, etc.
Geesh, I'm not much of a James Bond fan although hubby is and I've seen a lot of the movies with him......I liked the one (and the name escapes me) that Hallee Barry was in.....good question about which Bond was the best too; that could evoke a wide variety of answers based on preferences.....
betty
I think Sean "wifebeater" Connery had the best Bond voice but Daniel Craig is a pretty hot Bond.
Never been much of a Bond fan. Now my daddy, he'll sit and watch them all day... I suspect it's for the chicks though.
Never watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang... I'm such a neglected child.
*sings*
Oh you pretty Chitty Bang Bang,
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
We love you.
And, in
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
What we'll do.
:) (been hearing it in my head all day)
I had never heard the Sean Connery was a wife beater. That just pisses me off. He is off my list and I'll have to go with James Gardner... ;) He's not a bond you say? Well he should have been then, lol.
I am out of the loop, too--in more ways than one,I guess. Did not know Sean was cruel to women. *sigh* Here I always thought he was sooo sexy. Not a Bond movie or book fan. And I guess I also had a deprived childhood--never saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. :(
I love love love Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! I watch it every time it's on tv.
As far as Bond goes, I started watching them right before Pierce Brosnan became Bond, I think I saw the last one with Roger Moore. So Pierce is definitely my favorite Bond, but coming in second would probably be Sean. Daniel Craig just doesn't do it for me, sorry.
Post a Comment