I saw this black and white picture in a book called "Alco's to Allentown" by Thomas A. Biery and found it rather haunting. Its really amazing what you can do with black and white. I'm going to try getting some B&W shots with my camera.
In 1737, Nicholas Kern was the first white settler in what would become Slatington. Kern established a sawmill shortly after arriving. In 1756, Benjamin Franklin wrote that he had procured boards and timber from Kern's sawmill. In the 19th century two Welshman, who recognized its properties and importance from being used in Europe, discovered slate. A quarry was set up in 1845, and, in 1847, a factory was erected. In 1846, Slatington was incorporated into a Borough of Pennsylvania.

Built in 1862, a year before Lincoln's Gettysburg address, Slatington's Lehigh Valley Railroad station was one of the oldest structures on the original section of the railroad built between Easton and Jim Thorpe.
The Lehigh Valley Railroad later ran from Oak Island, New Jersey (in the Meadowlands across the Hudson River from New York City) an Buffalo, New York via Towanda, PA and with a secondary line that ran through Monroeton, PA.
The sign reads 109.5 miles to New York City on left end and 338.1 miles to Buffalo, New York on the other end.
The station was destroyed by a high-speed freight train derailment on February 1, 1969. An old no-longer-used 6 inch water main used to supply steam trains with water burst in the basement of the station from the force of the impact of 31 freight cars scattering across the countryside - some of them going by way of the station's front door.
Otto Orkin, founder of Orkin pest-control is probably the best known native Slatingtonian.
Additional information about Slatington can be found here

16 comments:
Somethings actually look better in a B/W photo. Instead of shooting in B/W you may want to shoot in color and run it through a photo editing program to change the color. That way you have it in both. You may also want to see what the same photo does when run through the sepia filters. ;) Have fun!
Cool picture. I love old buildings like that. I always wonder who past through it and what they were doing. If walls could talk...
Loved the sign on the front of the building.
What a cool picture. The sign telling how far to New York and Buffalo is awesome. Too bad it was destroyed.
Old buildings just seem to call my name and try to entice me inside. Crazy and dangerous, so I just settle for taking photos.
I love your blog, you are always posting something different and interesting.
i love black and white photos...i made it bigger and much to my surprise..i found a face looking out of that window over the sign..or am i crazy...looks like a face peeking out..
B&W always looks cool.
Thanks for the mention here IntenseGuy! And thank you for always leaving such nice comments!
I have to agree with Ladystyx - I always shoot and then use editing to see what I like in black and white. It's the best of both worlds! If you don't already have a program try Picasa, it's what I use, it's very simple to use and it's a free download! :-)
Love the photo you've shown here!
both picture and commentary provided me with a nice visit!!!
I often convert my photos to black and white or sepia. I love old buildings like that. I always wish I knew more about the history - and thanks to you I do!
Huge hugs, Iggy.
Awesome picture.
I love history.
Another interesting post from you... See, we said your posts are interesting! :)
That face peering out looks kinda scary, evil almost.
I like your stories about Pennsylvania. I've only been to that state once many years ago when we went to Hersey Park and other touristy type places. You make it seem very interesting and I'd love to go there again.
its a shame the station got destroyed many years later by a derailment; all that history gone
great picture and interesting story.
betty
You make history so interesting! Black & white photos can be the best with some subjects. I also prefer the old black & white movies to be left balck & white and not colorized. I had no idea where Mr. Orkin man came from, either. You are just full of fun facts. :)
You're awfully informing lately....what's up with this intellectual stuff? Isn't school out? It's summer. (he discovered slate, really? cool. I love chalkboards.)
Another wonderful post, bring the past alive for all of us. Thank you Iggy! Hugs!
Post a Comment