
Gaetano Alberto "Guy" Lombardo (born June 19, 1902 in London, Ontario; died November 5, 1977) was a Canadian then American bandleader and violinist. In 1938, he became a naturalized citizen of the United States.
Lombardo's father, Gaetano, was an amateur singer and had four of his five sons learn to play instruments so they could accompany him. Lombardo and his brothers formed their first orchestra while still in grammar school and rehearsed in the back of their father's tailor shop.
Forming The Royal Canadians in 1924 with his brothers Carmen, Lebert, and Victor and other musicians from his hometown, Lombardo led the group to international success, billing themselves as creating "The Sweetest Music This Side of Heaven."
Lombardo's orchestra played at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York City from 1929 to 1959, and their New Year's Eve broadcasts (which continued with Lombardo until 1976 at the Waldorf Astoria) were a major part of New Year's celebrations across North America.
So, even for an older guy like me, this man was a rather ho-hum Lawrence Welk-like figure until I saw the following sign at the Antique Boat Museum's speedboat building. I was both fascinated and forcibly reminded not to judge a book by its cover.
Guy Lombardo was also an important figure in hydroplane racing, winning the Gold Cup in 1946 and the Ford Memorial competition in 1948. In 2002 he was inducted into the Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame for his accomplishments.

You may be familiar with Gold Cup racing hydroplane boats from the Budweiser commercial featuring the "Miss Budweiser" shown here howling down the river at nearly 200 mph.
Built to withstand heavy pounding at speed, wooden hydroplanes with their curves and arcs are impressive examples of woodworking craftsmanship. Ten or more coats of varnish makes the wood gleam under the lights.
The Hey Wait! was built in the 1950s. Powered by a Johnson outboard motor, it set a speed record of 51.471 mph on October 30, 1950 at Lake Alfred, FL.
The largest limited class, after WWII up to the early 1970's, were the 7-litre modified class (427 cubic inches). This class of hydros used the "big block" V8 engines of their days. There is something about how glistening varnished gloss on mahogany is simply out of this world.
The world straightaway speed record for 7-litre class hydroplanes is held by George "Buddy" Byers, owner/driver of Chrysler Queen H-1 at 168.2 mph. That record was set with a supercharged Chrysler Hemi. Notice the lack of any real safety equipment in these boats.
The Antique Boat Museum also has a nice display of old toys. Even if they are metal and/or plastic. I remember playing with an old wooden toy boat my Dad was given when he was a little boy. It ran on 4 D-cell batteries. I wonder what became of it.

15 comments:
Note to self: adopt 4 or 5 children so they can be a band.
I had heard of the first Guy Lombardo before, whether it was the musician or the racer, I have no idea.
Thanks for the history lesson though!
When I think of Guy Lombardo, I think of the orchestra. Never knew he raced boats. And what awesome boats they were. I never knew they built those kinds of boats back then. What happens when you're flying across the water in a wooden boat like that and you crash? Think of all that kindling wood. :)
I'm with Yankee Girl...thanks for the history lesson.
Guy Lombardo in a hydroplane speedboat... Wow that image doesn't jive with my memories of the man!
LOL AK about kindling.
Thanks for the history Iggy. That was something I probably would never have known!
I learn something new with each passing post. Guy Lombardo and speedboats doesn't compute in my mind for some reason.
Happy Friday!
wow, I didn't know this; thanks for sharing it; I'm going to see if my husband, who is a bit of a music trivia peson, knows this info; I might have actually gotten one that he might not know of; thanks!
enjoy the weekend :)
That is some awesome craftsmanship on the boat! I love that about some things (vehicles, namely). You don't have to be into the subject at hand to be able to appreciate the beauty of the piece.
Wow! The history we learn from you :-)
*wanders off singing Auld Lang Syne*
Very interesting.
My husband would want one of those hydroplanes.
I tried to email you but can't find your email address. If you could email it to me at CelticSpiritNM@aol.com I'd really appreciate it. If you don't want to, that is fine too.
Barb
Interesting post.
New Year's isn't New Year's without Guy Lombardo!!! I remember him when I was a kid. An institution!!!
I didn't know about his racing though. I appreciate the workmanship, but for me, real boats have sails not engines, lol!
wow..i love coming over here.. i always learn something..i know of and love the first guy..and starting to really like the second one..lovely boats
Guy Lombardo and New Year's Eve--yes! Guy Lombardo and speed racing boats--no! You are a wealth of information. Must follow your blog! :)
What interesting information you acquire, Iggy. Who knew Guy Lombardo was a speed-boat racer?
Thinking about him, makes me want to open up winamp and play some of his stuff from my computer.
Post a Comment