Monday, July 20, 2009

Down The Rabbit Hole

Recently I pulled off my bookshelf an annotated version of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass. I take great delight in the twisted logic and nonsensical poems.

I took a couple walks this past weekend - and didn't take a lot of pictures since I wanted some time to myself. Some "me time". I think its important to lose ourselves in wonder of our surroundings from time to time without a thought of the external world.

So the pictures are unexplained - but I wanted to share them with you today.

a rabbit sitting on my neighbor's lawn
Oh my ears and whiskers, how late it's getting!

No wonder you're late. Why, this watch is exactly two days slow. (Note: and undoubtably two dollars short too.)

a fungus growing from the side of a dead tree
I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning?

I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!

my hand holding a gps
Alice: Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?

The Cat: That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.

Alice: I don't much care where.

The Cat: Then it doesn't much matter which way you go.

Alice: ...so long as I get somewhere.

The Cat: Oh, you're sure to do that, if only you walk long enough.

a small creek flowing through a high grass field
We called him Tortoise because he taught us.

Subjects like Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.

my gps on a railing on the side of the trail - beyond it is a green hill with a white house on it
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

purple wild flowers in the breeze
Alice: Oh, but that's nonsense. Flowers can't talk.

The Rose: But of course we can talk, my dear.

Orchid: If there's anyone around worth talking to.

Daisy: Or about.

[giggles]

Bud: I think she's pretty.

The Rose: Quiet, Bud.

an empty field under a glorious sky
Alice: And how many hours a day did you do lessons?

The Mock Turtle: Ten hours the first day, nine the next, and so on.

Alice: What a curious plan!

The Gryphon: That's the reason they're called lessons, because they lessen from day to day.

high white clouds in the sky
`The sun was shining on the sea,
Shining with all his might:
He did his very best to make
The billows smooth and bright --
And this was odd, because it was
The middle of the night.

The moon was shining sulkily,
Because she thought the sun
Had got no business to be there
After the day was done --
"It's very rude of him," she said,
"To come and spoil the fun!"

The sea was wet as wet could be,
The sands were dry as dry.
You could not see a cloud, because
No cloud was in the sky:
No birds were flying over head --
There were no birds to fly.

an oragen day lily
Daisy: What kind of a garden do you come from?

Alice: Oh, I don't come from any garden.

Daisy: Do you suppose she's a wildflower?

a white cloud in the sky
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

I think this cloud looks like a frumious Bandersnatch. What do you think it looks like?

24 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

Scorpion, the clouds to me looks like a scorpion :)

I always enjoy your photos...

Yankee Girl said...

The clouds really do look like a scorpion!

And I love Alice in Wonderland. The caterpillar is my favorite. he is so totally zen...maybe it's because of all the herb he smokes!

I'm gonna have to take out my copy and reread it!

AliceKay said...

Beautiful photos. :)

The clouds look like a lobster to me.

Melissa said...

This is my favorite book. I read it over and over, yet I still find new things to love. As always your photos are beautiful!

"Oh, how I wish I could shut up like a telescope! I think I could, if I only knew how to begin."


Happy Monday!

Dorkys Ramos said...

Oh what a fun post! You know, I've never read Alice in Wonderland, nor have I seen the movie. Shame on me...

LadyStyx said...

ooooh lookit that mudbug in the sky!

Gorgeous shots of the flowers...headed over to Flickr to leave yas some comments.

Deanna said...

The cloud does look like a frumious Bandersnatch - but it also looks like a lobster.

Beautiful photos. The post got me to thinking (as usualy). Going to have to read Through the Looking Glass again. My mind is rather foggy after 25 years of absence from Fairy Tales.

Deanna said...

Oh, and did that pedo actually say 8.29 miles????

Martha said...

What silly fun - and I think you already know I'm all about silly fun! I haven't read Alice in many years. I forgot just how great it was. Your photos are wonderful too :-)

The Wife O Riley said...

The Disney movie is still a staple in our house ever since Vivi's Alice obsession.

A long time ago, I once did a post with pictures to "Oh, The Places You'll Go" by Dr. Suess. It was one of my first posts, maybe I'll do it again with updated pictures.

sugarlens said...

I agree with AliceKay, it totally looks like a lobster!

I have to say Alice In Wonderland isn't one of my most favorite Disney movies. I love that conversation between Alice and the Cat though.

Karla said...

I understand the "me time"...
Good post as always :-) and I think the cloud looks like an ant..but..I need glasses LOL

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Great post, what fun to read. Scorpion maybe but I think Lobster w/ butter. Yum (can you tell I'm hungry?)

Anonymous said...

I love the words along with these photos.


And the orange flower...of course!

betty said...

such a cute whimsical entry; loved the pictures of the clouds! I keep saying it, but what a gorgeous part of the country you live in; I told my hubby we really need to think about moving to Pennsylvania or a state close by

betty

AiringMyLaundry said...

I love this!

I've always been a fan of Alice in Wonderland. I remember watching the Disney version many times as a child.

PictureGirl said...

It took me a little bit but I finally see the scorpion.

Wendyburd1 said...

I love that quote you have up there! And those are some great pics!

JennyMac said...

Great photos and love the poem.

And I vote: lobster.

jewelzmomof4 said...

Great post i love it. I also think the cloud looks like a scorpion. That was one of my favorite things as a little girl laying down on the ground and looking at the clouds until they formed some sort of picture. You have some cool pictures.

Grand Pooba said...

Loved the little Alice in Wonderland trip! That orange flower is GAAAWgeous!

yellowdoggranny said...

it looks like michael jackson strangling goofy....





i think i took too much of what lewis carol had..hahah

Anonymous said...

I loved this post! :)

Rita said...

Thank you! This was great--great--great! *big smile*

I see a rodeo rider on the back of a rearing, bucking horse (head and front legs of horse are above the trees) with his big cowboy hat flying backwards off his head. His legs are tucked up--he's lost his stirrups and and he is going to be greeting the dirt shortly--hehe!