Steps: 3,744,654
Miles: 1568.50

A map showing the Revolutionary War Campaign of 1777
Methacton Hill is on the blue road to the left of the label "Gulph Mills" near the center top.
Out beyond my backyard looms the not-quite-towering Methacton Hill. "Methacton" was a Native American (Indian) term believed to mean "windy hill." Driving up and over this hill is part of my daily commute - and I am reminded daily that this hill and the local environs have played a role in American history.
In the skirmishing that led up to the Battle of Germantown, the Continental Army camped on Methacton Hill on October 2nd and 3d, 1777 with George Washington spending the nights at Peter Wentz's farmstead - and yes, there is a sign saying "George Slept Here" out front of the building. I see this farmstead every morning on my daily commute.

Peter Wentz's Farmstead
The farmstead is now a county park and open to the public. It hosts living history re-enactments and summer camp programs for children.
Methacton Hill, more familiarly known as the Fairview Hills, is higher than any hill within 15-20 miles. From points along the ridge you can get beautiful and extended views of the Schuylkill and Perkiomen Valleys.

A lousy picture due to the hot, hazy and humid weather looking east
- when it clears up a bit I'll try again.
In the picture, my house is not visible but it is to the right and down in the trees in the near foreground. The Norristown Farm Park is about 2 miles towards the middle of the picture and Philadelphia is 20 miles in the far distance (to the left of the crossed wires). Valley Forge is about 3 miles off to the right -
Fairview Village Historic Marker
The sign reads, "Fairview Village - Located at the crossroads of Germantown Pike and Valley Forge Road in Worcester Township, the village of Fairview sits atop the Methacton Ridge and is one of the highest elevations in the Montgomery County [PA]. From this area, there are wide vistas of the region - Philadelphia to the east and Valley Forge to the south. Former landmarks include the Fairview Inn (circa 1750s-1919), the Bunner House (1773-2004), the Fairview General Store and Post Office (1840-1960), and the Weikle House (circa 1750-1998). On the west side of Valley Forge Road, north of the intersection, stands the Worcester Community Hall. It was constructed in 1919 by the Fairview village Assembly and is owned by the township. From 1907 to 1925, a trolley line, nicknamed the "Wogglebug," ran through Fairview Village, connecting Norristown and Harleysville."
Many of the landmarks mentioned were destroyed when housing developments were built starting in the 1960s - the destruction of historic buildings and farmlands continues unabated today.

The Wogglebug
Gone for nearly 85 years, you can still see traces of the rail right of way. On my daily commute I see, in two different places, old concrete piers that used to carry the tracks over small creeks. The route of the trolley must have gone within mere yards of my house. Perhaps on a still night, if I paid attention, I might hear the rattle of the trolley car as it goes by.
Local Historic Society's write up on the trolley
A very detailed but nicely written paper on the Campaign of 1777

7 comments:
It must take you ages to get all these pics and info together for posting.
I think it's a very good picture, Iggy. Beautiful country down there, haze or not. Love the history, too.
Tori - this entry was the first one that was troublesome. Usually they all come together without too much fuss, but getting three of these pictures took several trips in order to get them, or to get better ones.
Alice Kay - thank you. On a clear day you can see the separate windows sections on the skyscrapers in downtown Philadelphia as well as other details. In the picture I got, you can just barely see the buildings in the "soup". The sticky haze has been terrible the past couple weeks.
I love the name Wogglebug. It is so descriptive. *Closes my eyes and sees the trolly "woggling" down the tracks. I envy you living smack dab in the middle of all that history. It is such a shame when it is destroyed in the name of progress. I look forward to seeing the clear day picture, even though the soupy picture is pretty cool.
Punkn - I think the Wogglebug was one of the characters from the Wizard of Oz books and comics which were published back about the time the trolley was built.
If it were still with us, I would ride it a lot!
Very fascinating! You are truly bring history alive for each of us. Thank you for that.
*nodz* to iggy. I got curious and looked it up. Im gathering the character's name was H.M. Wogglebug, T.E . I never realized there was more than the two stories....
Post a Comment