Steps: 3,952,366
Miles: 1656.95
Miles to New Hampshire: 88.05

Massachusetts was named for an Algonquian Indian word that means "a big hill place" - I wish those Indians could have found something little simpler to spell. :)

Massachusetts' flag depicts a Native American carrying a bow and arrow on a blue shield (all on a white background). A white star on the shield represents Massachusetts, one of the original 13 states. The state motto (in Latin and written in yellow on a blue ribbon) reads "Ense Petit Placidam Sub Libertate Quietem," meaning "By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty." Above the shield is a arm wielding a sword demonstrating the state motto.
You may be pleased to know the following:
The State Beverage is Cranberry Juice
The State Muffin is Corn Muffin
The State Dessert is Boston Cream Pie (what else?) and
The State Cookie is the Chocolate Chip Cookie!
There is lots to see and do in this Commonwealth, so the Virtual Walker will be pretty busy!
Oh, by the way, while we are here, its best not to wear any New York Yankee apparel or to cheer for them in any way shape or form - its a form of suicide in this state.

7 comments:
Looking forward to the pics from your trek thru Massachusetts. (i love boston cream pie)
I actually spent a few days, some years back, in Boston while at a conference. It was during the years of the "Big Dig". (I was going to place a link to the Big Dig official site but I couldn't get it so you could just click on it. Guess someone is going to have to clue me in how to do that lol). Anyway, I was glad I wasn't trying to drive anywhere. The traffice was horrendous! There was so much to see all within a few miles of each other that there was no need for transportation other than the subways. The most surprising thing about Boston was how friendly the people were.
Here is a link to information on the Big Dig for anyone who is interested. Thanks for your help Iggy :)
In Va, cheering loudly (nevermind the garments) for the Yanks might not quite get you suicide status but it certainly get you a huge case of the stinkeye as my SCSis found out last week!
When I tossed the term Big Dig in my browser, alot came up. This is the first one on the listing: Big Dig . I hope it's what you were thinking of punkn.
Well damn...now I know who's onsite with me...LOL!!!!!!!!
Boston Cream Pie is my favorite! I've actually been to Massachusetts once, to a conference in Barnstable. We snuck out one afternoon and drove down to, let's see where was that...oh yes, Hyannis. We bought a few souvenirs, I got a Cape Cod sweatshirt and t-shirt.
I hope the Virtual Walker goes to Faneuil Hall. I really enjoy walking around down there and shopping in all the cool shops and sampling all the ethnic food and pastries.
And my other favorite spot...Fenway Park.
The Big Dig was a Big Headache for anyone who had to commute to and from Boston for the last 20 years. Not to mention the expense, since the project was grossly underestimated. And last year, because of shoddy workmanship, a woman was killed when a ceiling tile from the tunnel fell onto her vehicle. It's like a bad dream that just won't end. But I will say the new bridge is a thing of beauty.
Post a Comment