Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What do the following have in common?

When I was younger, traveling away from home meant going to Amusement Parks!!

A skee ball alley, a wooden lane about 14 feet long with a target tilting up at the far end. Players roll little wooden balls up the lane to the target to try to win prizes.
A Skee-Ball Alley

Skee-Ball machines are found in hundreds of "penny" arcades around the country. Chucky Cheese is now one of the largest Skee-Ball customers.

A traditional wooden roller coaster, people holding their arms up and screaming
The Phoenix - Knoebels, Elysburg, Pennsylvania

This roller coaster was originally built as The Rocket in 1947 at Playland Park, San Antonio, Texas. When Playland Park closed in 1980, the roller coaster was relocated to Knoebels, where it was rebuilt and renamed 1985.

A beautifully restored wooden carousel (merrry go round) ride.
The Riverview Carousel - Six Flags, Atlanta, Georgia

The people of Chicago must of broke out in tears when the park's owner announced that the Riverview Amusement Park was closing forever in the fall of 1967. Sadly, many of the park's landmarks were lost to the wrecking ball. The carousel, however, was a handful of the rides saved. Parts of it were stored in numerous private basements in Galena, Illinois for years, until the ride was reassembled in Six Flags, Atlanta Georgia, in 1972. Being a big kid at heart, I rode on it in the late 1980s.

Riverview was a huge landmark. Its story is told here.

So what do all of these things have in common?

Well, all of these things were built in suburban Lansdale!

The Philadelphia Toboggan Company is the oldest existing roller coaster manufacturing company in the world. Based in suburban Lansdale, Pennsylvania, it was established in 1904 by Henry Auchey and Chester Albright, making various amusement devices, including carousels, wooden roller coasters, and their trains. The company also manufactured Skee-Ball machines for many years.

In 1991, the company changed its name to Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters. The Skee-Ball Company was spun off in 1977 and are, this year, celebrating 99 years of making Skee-Ball machines.

close up of a spectacular wooden carved horse nostrils flaring and teeth bared, painted in dozens of bright colors
A close up of a spectacular wooden carved horse

So whenever I'm away from home and feel a little homesick, I can just pop into any amusement park, and more than likely, find a piece of home.

The Skee-Ball Company

Philadelphia Toboggan Company Information (complete with an awesome listing of "currently" existing roller coasters!)

4 comments:

LadyStyx said...

That horse is beyond spectacular! I've snagged it for my desktop. One of my weaknesses is beautiful carousel horses. I used to have a few musical ceramic ones...*changes subject*

The Skee-ball machine reminded me of a friend's house...they had bought one for their livingroom and we'd play it for hours while over visiting...

AliceKay said...

I love playing Skee-ball and so do my kids. I've been to Knoebel's quite a few times but never rode the Phoenix. I don't do coasters anymore, although I used to love them. (vertigo problems now)

Knoebel's has a beautifully restored carousel, too. The park has been thru a number of floods, but they keep coming back stronger than ever.

Never knew the history about the Tobaggan Company. Really interesting, Iggy.

Deanna said...

An interesting read. And that horse!!!! Just beautiful. Mr. Ed would've been drooling (I digress...) I've never played Skee=ball, can you believe that. I've led such a sheltered life,lol.

ChicagoLady said...

Very fascinating stuff! Too bad neither of the wooden rollercoasters at Six Flags Great America were made by PTC.

I wasn't even born yet when Riverview closed, but I'm sure my aunt remembers it, as she was born here.

Anyone that likes carousels, I can tell you about the worlds biggest. At least I think it's still the worlds biggest. It's weird and magnificent at the same time. And it has a lot more than horses, lol.