Monday, July 14, 2008

Scattered Around the World

A single pink-purple blossom of a Rose of Sharon bush
Rose of Sharon Blossom (from my backyard)

I was thinking about what I had said about being alone and today I thought I would just see when I was reminded of a friend - scattered around the world as they are.

This morning, my day started when I read a blog entry that said "A friend is someone that reaches for your hand and touches your heart" and found myself without words and filled with contentment.

On the way from the computer to the laundry room to pick up clothes to wear, my eye catches a painting on the wall done by an college art professor in North Carolina that I've lost touch with except in the link the hand painted image provides. Clothes in hand, I head for the shower and see a newspaper clipping that's been framed with a picture of my parents, younger brother, and I standing on a beach in the Outer Banks with Currituck Lighthouse in the background - and I am reminded of a friend I have there.

As I get ready to leave the house, I walk past a chain sawn wooden pumpkin, painted orange that stands just inside my front door next to a bald eagle, who was also carved from solid oak by chain saw. As I begin my daily commute, I see a fresh bunch of orange cone heads and in kaleidoscope fashion, people that talk to me about them in chat run though my mind. As I reach the top of Methacton Hill, I search left and right for "the" Sofa King Truck and smile at myself for doing so. Further down the road, as someone pulls a clever driving trick (this time cutting across 3 lanes of traffic to make a turn without indicating), the word "Maine-iacs!" pops into my head.

9.8 miles later I get to the office and get the mail from the weekend processed so I can walk to the Post Office before it gets too warm. On the way to post office, I secretly wave to the "Three Frogs on a Shovel" statue and note with some relief that the green "K-Car" with the "Kermee" plates is in its usual spot. A couple blocks further down the street I inspect the Martian landing posts for signs of recent landings. Back in the office I see on the wall by my desk a picture taken while I was at Green Cove Springs and am reminded of friends that live in and near Jacksonville, Florida. My day dreaming is pushed aside when the cell phone rings and I scan through the swamp of papers on my desk trying to find it.

At lunch, I walk across the street to the corner sandwich shop and, while I no longer drink beer, I can't help but see the multicolor displays and the Labatt's sign with the big red maple leaves. While eating my sandwich, I note the Virtual Walker is in Red Sox territory and will, before the month is over, be in New Hampshire.

The work day complete, I drag race home and ready myself for my daily walk. My legs tired, I walk down the path saying in mind, "If I can just get to the Styxyladiums I'll be past the hardest part", that is, getting started. As they come into view, I reach the part of the trail that has deer, foxes, singing birds, and the river along side. My goal then becomes to reach the Shinestarium, the "half way done point" of the walk.

On some days, the dog run near the Shinestarium is jammed packed with dogs, but I always look the dogs over and take special note of any "Kero" dogs of which there is almost always one or two. Heading home wards, I might think of something to write a new entry to share with friends - or try to tackle the "find a posing squirrel" project.

On my return home I have a drink of water and use the "facilities" and as the flushed water swirls, I recall, the water supposedly whirls the other way, "down-under"; a place I really want to visit someday. And today, I have a new friend on my mind, a gamey bird that is in the hospital for knee surgery.

How could I have possibly thought I was alone?

6 comments:

AliceKay said...

You are never alone...your friends are always there in your heart and in your thoughts. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Like AK said... You are never alone! *hugs* :)

LadyStyx said...

I love this post! *HUGZ*

Deanna said...

Huge hug Iggy. Every word you said I can only loudly second!

ChicagoLady said...

That truly made me go "awwww." We're with you wherever you go, whether you want us there or not, lmao. Hugs!

Lainie said...

Your post made me smile and reflect that yes...whether online or not, friends are friends and we carry them with us everywhere we go.
Hugs to all my friends, and a special hug to you, Iggmeister.