Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I Got Me a Squirrel!

After many long walks, some of them up to eight miles in length, searching high and low for a squirrel to take a picture of, I had become rather discouraged. After mulling things over, I decided no squirrel was going to outwit me, so I buckled down and refined my tactics.

I developed a low hip slung holster belt to carry my camera and practiced, hour after hour in front of a mirror, quick drawing it from the custom-designed holster to my eye level, with finger located on the shutter and the camera powering up on the upswing.

Practice made perfect, I entered the "Chuckling Charlie Woods", so named because I was sure they were laughing at me and my feeble efforts to capture them on film, determined to get a picture of one of them. A mile, perhaps two, into the wood I spotted a branch rustling and went into my "make no sound Indian walk" to get closer. Ah HA! I thought to myself (but not too loudly!) as the furry bundle scurried along the branch.

Positioning myself so that the light shone just right, and the close enough that excessive zoom which makes the picture fuzzy wouldn't be needed, I ripped my camera from its holster just as the animal swung along the branch into view... It spotted me, but it was waaaaaaaaaaay to late!! :) My finger descended on the shutter and I heard the electronic rattle that digital camera shutters make before the beastie could jump, evade, or simply disappear on me.

Trembling in anticipation my fingers flew across the back of the camera activating the preview mode and I looked into the glowing display and thought to myself, "Of all the squirrels out here, I had to take a picture of the ugliest one... it looks like it had fought a battle with a Nair bottle... and lost!"

A bald faced pink oppossum
Durn, That's One Ugly Squirrel

Yep, no squirrel is going to make a fool out of me.

8 comments:

AliceKay said...

Yep, that's one ugly squirrel! LOL

Anonymous said...

Maybe you'll get one of the cute ones next time... LOL!

LadyStyx said...

Oh....a rat on steroids! Those things are as bad as the nutria down in Louisiana. When I was living down there they were actually promoting trapping, killing and eating nutria. Something about them being yet another white meat or something. Someone actually came out with a cook book with recipes on how to cook it and other "invasive species".

Karla said...

Yummy! Possum for supper tonight...errr I mean ugly squirrel

Deanna said...

roflmao I learn something new every day. And here I've been calling those ugly critters opossums all my life! Rat on steroids, lmao. That's a good one.

Lainie said...

I was thinking he's kinda scrawny to make Possum stew with but hey the young ones are usually the most tender so why not just skewer him and put him on the rotisserie?
Good job Iggy!! LMAO

ChicagoLady said...

Bwahahahahahaha!

You sure have ugly squirrels in PA.

Intense Guy said...

My brother had the audacity to tell me that this isn't a squirrel this morning - can you imagine that?

He said "Chuckling Charlie Woods" is not "Howler Monkey Forest"

I guess I better try again.