Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Can you say Llanfair...

Photograph of village sign for Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

While my parents were away in Wales, I came across the name of this town in their itinerary and was thinking, "Gosh, I hope when they come back they tell me how to pronounce Llanfair... oh I give up!"

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch - It was artificially contrived in the 1860s to bestow upon the train station the honour of having the longest name of any railway station in the United Kingdom: an early example of a publicity stunt. The village's own web site credits the name to a cobbler from the local village of Menai Bridge.

To hear the word said in Welsh go to this link and click on the grey button about 2/3 of the way down the page.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, Iggy... Very few people even over here can actually say the name "properly"... LOL!

When I was still in school we did a play where one of the kids needed to be able to say the name... It took her two weeks to learn to say it properly. I can say it if I have it written down in front of me, but otherwise... Nope! The good thing is I don't go there so I don't need to say it. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah... I meant to add..

A lot of people in this general area call it "the place with the long name that ends in GoGoGoch"... So much easier to say. LOL!

LadyStyx said...

good heavens! Can you imagine the points you'd get in Scrabble if there was enough letters to actually PUT that word on the board!!??

AliceKay said...

I'm glad I don't have to say it. I would surely mess it up, even if written down on paper.

ChicagoLady said...

I listened to it four times and still don't understand all the pronunciations of the letters, lol.

Amanda said...

ok now say it backwards LOL