Saturday, March 15, 2008

Death Can Be Ugly

Today while walking along the Schuylkill River Trail, I encountered many signs of Spring with its promise of life renewed, from Red-breasted Robins, Blue Birds, Willow Trees in bud, Crocuses in full bloom, and Grass slowly turning green. Spring is but a few days away now.

While walking, I also encountered some ugliness.


Death in the trench. I had to move an Orange Conehead a few feet to get it out of the picture - with the end of Lent just a few short days away, I am avoiding the temptation of photographing them, even by "accident". This crushed Orange Striped Barrel is quite and undeniably dead. I suspect, and think my CSI friends will concur, the cause of death was by motor vehicle. I'm not sure if it was completely run over, or just whacked hard by a speeding bumper.

I find it poignant, that the lone standing Orange Striped Barrel stands in silent vigil a few feet away while its two buddies sleep together, entwined in each other's foot.


Are these two dead? I do not know if these two Orange Striped Barrels are dead or not. The facts: They, along with two Orange Coneheads (carefully screened from the camera's lens by the cement wall), have been lying in this deep puddle for over three weeks. Their orange skin color has greatly faded as the slime and mud covers them.

However, I do not know enough about these creatures to say that they are dead. Could they be hibernating? Or are they capable of holding their breaths for weeks at a time? Would a good scrubbing with a high pressure wash return them to their natural "rosy" (well, I know, I know, its orange) glow? Will anyone ever pull them out of this puddle? I suspect not and I will check for them every time I walk by this spot until they disappear. I do, however, know that they are getting uglier.

8 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Oh...how sad. Yes I do believe the two in the puddle are dead. If they werent, Im sure there would have been some bubbles or something indicating that they were breathing....unless they grew gills and they just arent seen in the picture?

ChicagoLady said...

LMAO. I wasn't sure what to make of all the Orange Striped Barrels. I questioned if they were in fact aliens, or just temporary workers that would go home once their work was finished. Lately, they seem to be outnumbering the OCHA's, and it will be interesting to see if the OCHA's start demonstrating because their jobs are being taken by others.

Ausgrl said...

Ever seen the movie cocoon?
Maybe these are dormant chrysalis. Have you tried bathing in the water for possiblity of life rejuvenation?

AliceKay said...

I loved "Cocoon".

(i was wondering about bubbles too)

Someone wiped out the guard rails on what is known as "Dead Man's Curve" going in and out of Towanda the other day. There are at least 5 OCHA's keeping watch over the site. (it's known as that name because someone died there shortly after the road was built. it's the entrance/exit road from Route 220 to Towanda. The bypass goes straight and to the north. Hey, i have a pic of that curve someplace) *goes to search and keeps fingers crossed her computer continues to work*

LadyStyx said...

Good one aussy!

Hmmm I wonder if that wont lead to a gang war, Chicago....OCHAs against the OSBs. Maybe we're seeing a plethora of OSBs because they work cheaper and will do jobs the OCHAs "wont do". Somebody better check the work Visas on those OSBs. SAVE THE OCHAs!!

Intense Guy said...

Its a might chilly to be jumping into the puddle - I would think that the water temperature is probaby about 45F / 7C.

Maybe Wilford Brimley or Maureen Stapleton could use a dip.

Ausgrl said...

:-) whats a little chill or shrivel when you can be sooooo rejuvenated????

Lainie said...

Good Lord you even have me noticing OCHA's up here in the North Country. Just today I was wishing I had a camera to show you one that had been completely crushed by some unknown motorized vehicle. It was a sad sight indeed. Perhaps tomorrow I will return to the spot and pay my respects.